• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very low +5V, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phrancie

I read the sticky thread about low +5V and how to compensate for it in the Cases and Power Supplies forum but I still have a question. I have been using MBM5 and Everest to monitor my computer recently. I've noticed that the +5V runs steady at around +4.26V, well below the +/-5% tolerances. I don't have the system over clocked and I've even tried removing hardware to hopefully bring that number up. Nothing has worked.

The reason why I've been looking into my system for problems is because it has become quite unstable while running some games (EverQuest and EQ2 primarily). While running these games, anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour, the game will crash with an MS error box. Looking into the Event Viewer reveals there was an Application Error "Faulting application everquest2.exe, version 1.0.0.1, faulting module everquest2.exe, version 1.0.0.1, fault address 0x00515143."

I have also started using a few stress test programs to help narrow down the problem like Prime95, StressCPU, 3DMark01, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, Memtest86 and Troubleshooter 2000. So far, the only program that has caused an error is Prime95. While setting the priority to 10 and running the Blend Torture Test, it'll fail within 10 minutes. Running a Torture Test with the memory setting at 0MB does not cause it to fail. I realize this may point to memory but neither Memtest86 or TS2000 report any errors when testing memory. That's why I've started looking at my PSU.

Here are my system specs:

Gigabyte 7n400 Pro2 Rev 2.0 with BIOS Rev FJ
Athlon XP 2600+ (running stock speeds)
2 x 512MB DRAM Master
Asus FX 5950 Ultra
WD 80GB SATA (C: with OS)
WD 40GB IDE (D: with 4096MB Swapfile)
Enermax Whisper 465W PSU (purchased within 5 months)
LiteOn DVD+/-RW​

I've checked for physical defects on both the CPU and motherboard and everything looks good. No burnt spots and no cracks, chips or scratches. Temperatures on everything seem to be normal:

CPU at 140F while running Prime95
CPU at 126F while idle
HD at 110F
video card runs around 132F while playing games​

I've contacted Sony CS and gone through all their problem-solving techniques and nothing has brought my system back to stable conditions while playing their games. I don't believe this to be a software issue anymore.

If I was still working for my last company, I'd probably just take my computer there and start swapping out components until I find the defective part. But, that's not an option anymore and my wallet won't allow for purchasing a bunch of different components only to be left with too many extras.

So, I'm looking for suggestions or advice. Is my +5V rail in fact too low? Besides physically modding the board, what can I do to bring that number up or does it not matter? From what I've described above, does it even sound like my PSU is the problem? Any help would be appreciated.

-Phrancie

Have you checked the +5v using a multimeter? If your +5 really is that low, imo, considering you have a fairly new (and expensive) enermax, I'd request an RMA.

I have not verified it with a multimeter since I don't own one but two different programs have come up with relatively similar results. Unfortunately, the BIOS for the 7N400 Pro2 does not show the actual voltages, it only gives an "OK".

EDIT: I borrowed a multimeter from the mechanic shop across the street and tested a couple of the 4-pin molex connectors off the power supply. The red wire is in fact measuring about +5.12V and the yellow wire is measuring about +12.05V. I did not check the ATX connector to see what it measured though.

-Phrancie

Last edited:
While you have the multimeter, check everything on the motherboard molex connector (use a bent paper clip to short "ps on" to "ground" and then test the +v leads, one by one). But from what you've just posted, your psu is probably ok. (After all, it's an enermax, right?). Perhaps your software reporting is incorrect. But if the psu checks out with the multimeter, then that probably isn't your problem.

Last edited:
I think I've figured it out. What I've come up with kinda boggles me but it seems to have fixed something.

My girlfriend's computer is fairly similar. Instead of the 7N400 Pro2, she just has a 7N400-L. She runs 4x256MB instead of my 2x512MB. I swapped memory between the two systems. I ran Prime95 on my system and it went smooth for about 45 minutes. I ran Prime95 on her system with my memory and sure enough, it failed within 10 minutes. I took one piece of memory out of her system and it still failed within 10 minutes. I swapped the 2 512MB sticks and ran it again on her system and it failed again. I put her original memory back into her computer and ran Prime95 on her system. Ran great for 45 minutes without issue.

I remembered I had 2 old sticks of 256MB PC2700 kicking around and decided to put them into my system in replace of the 2x512MB. I ran Prime95 again on my system and it ran for 45 minutes without an error.

Somehow, it seems as if I got both of my DRAM Master 512MB sticks to fail on me at the same time. Either that or they're completely incompatible with the Gigabyte 7N400 series of motherboards. Now the real test, does it still cause my system to be unstable while playing some games?

-Phrancie

Check the 5v rail now. You should get someone else to test the ram (Asus/ABit/AOpen mobo, something different)... If it works, then its probably incompatible with your mobo (very unlikely). Were you getting more voltage into the ram?

Back