• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AAAARGggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coin

Machine Died, is there a medic in the house?

Brief History:
Left computer running happily, come back to computer and it's a lot quieter than normal, in fact it's silent :bang head
Try to restart it and all I get is a quiver from the fans and nothing more.
I have no spares so there is a limit to the troubleshooting I can do.
Reset the CMOS, nothing
I opened the case and removed all uneccessary connections to the board, no improvement
I took everything off the board except 1 stick of RAM and the CPU, still no improvement.
Took the board out of the case and still no change. :bang head :shrug:

From past experience and having read other posts I'm guessing that the board or the CPU is toast. I have checked the processor for obvious damage, chips or heat damage, nada! The same for the board.
As I get a brief quiver from the fans I am guessing that the PSU is fine.

Board MSI KT4Ultra
CPU Athlon XP1800+ it has been OC'd in the past but no higher than 145FSB and the CPU fan has never failed, well not to my knowledge anyway!
If the GPU was toast then I would have expected a boot with beeps the same for the RAM

I realise I'm going to have to replace bits, but with no spares I am going to have to buy any parts that may need replacing so what I need you guys to do is to either confirm my suspicions or suggest other possible problems

Thanks in advance for any help. :santa:

Last edited:
Just a quiver from the fans, the PSU fans don't even work? If you have a multimeter try testing the PSU.

If your cpu was toast you'd still boot up and would be able to get into the bios. Your mobo is probably dead. If not that, I'd check the psu. It may get going, but then fail as soon as too much juice is needed (ie. once the mobo starts drawing power). Do you have another psu to test with?

Unfortunately I have no spares to test with. I think I am going to have to buy a board and a PSU as I need this PC back asap. :mad: Ah well off to the shops tonight after work.
Thanks for the replies

Well last night i fitted my new Motherboard and still no joy :argue: . As it turns out GunnerMan is right the PSU has given up the ghost, well half died anyway. I got my hands on one of these little gems
http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=140&xcSID=b25d1099aab20f9e9d893636bb5337f7
and it turns out that my PSU now only has 5V rail both the 3.3 and the 12 appear to be toast!
So it's back off to the shops tonight for a new PSU. This is really starting to suck as I've now spent most of the money I had sidelined for watercooling and if as I suspect the CPU is also crispy wanton I will have to start again saving towards the watercooling :bang head

PSU was my first guess sorry i did not get to this thread before hand i could have saved you allot of trouble, all your symptoms were of PSU failure.

Sometimes its better not to post late :p j/k
Unfortunately past experience pointed me towards MB failure, but I'm not too bitter at least I have a better motherboard now........

Sidepoint if you can get one of these PSU testers get one, it only cost me 69KR (about £7 or $5) and wold have saved me a lot of hassle :-S and its a nifty little tool

:) got one but a bent paper clip works to, as well as some LED's you can make your own for under $2, less if you steal the parts off old electronics.

I did the green to black trick and it did show that it was toast, the good bit about this little thing is that it individually tests all the rails and their levels and all connectors except SATA

Back