• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bad scroll wheel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

the scroll wheel on the mouse i'm using isn't working right. sometimes it will fly down the page at leaps and bounds from the slightest touch. any way i can fix this?

Maybe take it apart and clean the contacts with alcohol. I recomend Jack Daniels or maybe regular rubbing alcohol. It your choice. Sometimes mice just wear out.

the screws to open it up are blocked by caulking. it looks like the manufacturers filled up the holes with caulking to make the mouse skates.

rebelwarlock said:
the screws to open it up are blocked by caulking. it looks like the manufacturers filled up the holes with caulking to make the mouse skates.

What kinda mouse? Maybe its just the mouse feet over the screw holes?

Anyway, yeah, scroll wheel technology uses photocells (same thing thats in analog sticks on a console controller, or on a joystick). What it does, is it has a little camera, pointed towards a black/white box. Then whatever you move (lets take the scroll wheel, for example) has a gear-like extrusion that goes between the camera and the box. Works just like an optical sensor, whenever the picture changes, it sends an impulse to the computer.

[/Scroll Wheels 101]

Back