• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte ramdisk - ED likes something?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
http://www.overclockers.com/tips00788/

ive been around here 5 years and ive followed ed's dream just as close as possible.ive always wanted one also.
gigabyte better make it or im gonna be mad.

it better work in any pci slot mobo that can run sata devices.
i will also make a power supply and use the battery as a backup.
at $50 a piece i can take a chance on smoking a few to get the power issue fixed.

id also do that since it will be holding windows for my and of course i will have ghosted images done every few days as backup.

ok when and where can i buy it?

I'm glad Ed is finally interested in something, it's true that there's been nothing really interesting overclocking recently......

I've not seen any reason to upgrade my Shuttle with a mobile XP @ around 2.5Ghz, hell give me a dualcore X2 at around 2.4Ghz at not silly prices then i'll be interested.

But this news might just have changed my mind, hell i've got a free PCI slot - A solid state hdd at a normal price is going to make my little box fly for less cash that a whole new platform......

True solid state hdd is not going to give me any more fps, but it'll make my whole system feel faster - XP is bloated and compared to a OS X, it has terrible memory management with excessive use of hhd swap. Yet with the problem of memory management lessened due to ssd - yeah baby :)

thingi

I want one, 4GB is more than enough to install an OS onto and a your most commanly used apps.... or for once a RAM drive will be FAST
I think this will make your computer feel faster than a 3GHz Athlon 64

can you say x 2 with RAID 0?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144322 x2 is close to 350 or so, so 400 bucks for a 4 Gb HDD, but at amazing performance...

*drool*

Or, you could buy 2 with 2GB in RAID 0 for 4 GB Total, for a GRAND total of 450 :) I could live with that, to be perfectly honest. Getting 150Mb/s at all times for transfer times..

Or.. *ooooh* instant boot! THAT I could love :)

raid0 with these would be almost useless as id bet with tweaks even would saturate sata2 busses.but even at sata1 speeds it will seem light years ahead.

finally boot times will be cpu limited!
altho if you did raid0 2 of these it would give 8gb total but i only need 4gb and the costs would bemore than im willing to pay.

i cant wait to hack into its power system and get it running off of a second psu i wont mind useing 24/7 like some crappy old 200wt psu i have stuffed in my closet.or even an all purpose adjustable wall dc converter like used in cell phones.

it is true tho if you add this to run your OS it will be better than even a platform upgrade.i want an X2 anyhow plus this :) but only when the X2 is under $300 will i bite tho.

RAID would help it
i was thinking the same thing... 4 SATA connectors that all support RAID on some MB's, 16BG Raid 0, if i only won the lotto

buss speed doesnt double with raid just the drive speed doubles gereraly anyhow.
far as i know a mobo only carries 1 sata buss usually from the south bridge connected to the north bridge or memory controller.

Also:

I am pretty very very sure that you can upgrade the battery. It's not soldered to the PCB, it has it's own wire. Just hook up a couple of AA photo-cells and it should last a whole lotta longer.

Sjaak said:
Also:

I am pretty very very sure that you can upgrade the battery. It's not soldered to the PCB, it has it's own wire. Just hook up a couple of AA photo-cells and it should last a whole lotta longer.

even when the computer is off the PSU still is supplying power to the motheboard... So i am sure some sort of trickle charge can be worked out

:drool: /me wants one as well :D

Cenatek has had a similar product for the past few years, but it has several limitations that this card could easily fix. That, and the Cenatek card (and it's ancient PC133 RAM) is way too expensive to even consider buying.

If Gigabyte releases this sucker, I know EXACTLY what I'm doing with the PC2100 I won't be able to use when I upgrade my compy :)
JigPu

I am just curious if you could mix ram using this card. Like use pc3200, pc2700, 512meg, 1gig.
Thanks

elec999 said:
I am just curious if you could mix ram using this card. Like use pc3200, pc2700, 512meg, 1gig.
Thanks

yes that's a pretty important issue for me as well. I would use it to recycle my old RAM (gonna upgrade from an old 200+ to something better soon) but i want the ability to plop in any DDR RAM stick i want, in whatever combination i want.

can I?

While it still would be nice to have a static solution without a battery, I'm intrigued by this as well. 16 hours? Bah! I sense battery mods. :D

Finally have a use for all those PCI slots.

*peers into Ed's coffee cup, just in case*

i am just supprised it isnt using the PCI-E bus.
Even at 1x it has 2.5Gbps of bandwidth bidirectionally.
And it if it was detected as an add in SCSI/IDE card that too could be booted from....
anyhow i am very interested to see some bench marks with this ramdisk

I find it kind of odd that they didn't just make it recognizable as a SATA card, and PCIE would be nice too. Perhaps in the future it will be cableless and with a newer interface once PCIE1x gains ground.

Back