• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High vdimm voltages cause stability issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlcatrazT2

Okay guys.
from 2.6v I've gone up to 2.8v...the max my board allows me to go. The question. Let's say I have a stable overclock at 1:1 235 at 2.7v. If I bump the vdimm to 2.8v, can I possibly loose stability?
My computer works fine but sometimes decides to restart...I'm just thinking if it's due to the fact that I'm pushing in a lot more power than it really needs?

it's possible if the modules are hot. have you memtested them at 2.8v?

are you sure that it's not your processor that is causing the restarts?

memtest86+ seems fine...it is Windows that randomly crashes. I'm guessing it might be too much for the CPU?

How can I test CPU stability to a 100%. I've used Prime95 on a different processor before and loved the fact that CPU usage was at 100%. Now with a gig of RAM...CPU usage doesn't go above 3-7%. I was told to run dual instances of Prime95 since I have a H.T. processor but that didn't help either. Any ideas?

is the pysical temperature of the RAM good enough to classify cool or hot modules?
The computer restarted once again at 1:1 234 2.8v, I touched both modules and they weren't hot at all, not even warm.
The restart happened when I was running Prime95, single instance, CPU usage at or below 10% for most of the time with PF usage at 1.20GB
I'm going to try to run 2.7 to see if the extra voltage increase has any effect?

new result:
1:1 @ 236 @ 2.7 volts = seems stable
1:1 @ 236 @ 2.8 volts = restarts

hmm...temperature issue i'm guessing?

okay i ran the test overnight at 1:1 236 @ 2.7 volts and i had a total of 30 passes in memtest86+...i tired bottin into windows followin the 8 hours of testing and it would keep restarting. after a few tries, i got in. funny how yesterday i could be booting perfectly and today instability...i'm guessing it has to do with the heat issue

I've got some rather generic PC3200 sticks (512mb) with nanya chips that run happily overclocked with 2.6V but error in memtest when I bump the voltage to 2.7 or 2.8.
They are rated as CAS 3 modules but run error free in memtest at CAS 2-3-3-6 @205MHz unless I bump up the voltage even .1V.

Back