• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What AntiVirus/Firewall/Internet Security software do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlcatrazT2

Hey guys
What AntiVirus/Firewall/Internet Security software are you all using? I've decided to quit using Norton Internet Security 2005 because it's such a resource hog and have migrated to Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 which is great. I've also heard it's much better than Norton when it comes to protection both virus wise and especially firewall. What do you guys think?

I also just switched over from norton to PC-cillin, and I think it is great. The interface is much better and it found several viruses that norton let through. I highly recommend it to anyone looking to buy a new antivirus program.

Anitvirus: Symantec Anti-Virus
Firewall: Windows/router/Kerio Personal Firewall
Internet Security: Firefox

AV - Symantec AV 2005 (formerly Norton AV)
Firewall - Netgear RO318 router + Zonealarm
Security - Firefox

Plus I use Ad-Aware + Spybot S&D regularly.

X1g

Antivirus: Nav05 plus trendmicro.com
Internet: Firefox
Firewall: the one built into my router

TeuffelHunden said:
Antivirus: AVG free edition
Internet: Firefox
Firewall: the one built into my router

my exact setup as well :D avg is great for being free......plus, its not nearly as mem. intensive as norton/mcafee

I just uninstalled my norton and ZA Pro...both of which were cracked but provided excellent service.... however, both are a drag on resources....

Just switched to AVG PRO/Premium (whateva its called) its cracked too, but is lighter on resources and i like the interface.

Using my XP firewall right now, and although i dont' have a router, I was given Alpha Shield over a year ago as a freebie, and while its running , I dont' get scanned. So, aside from the fact that its not a router in the conventional sense, it works fine for what i need.

I use firefox most of the time, sometimes i will use opera

TeuffelHunden said:
I hope you dont' mean "cracked" as in illegal/warez. If you do, then it's not supposed to be discussed on these forums.

I read the rules, one question I have, If i make a back up of a program/game, and swap it with my buddies for one of their games/programs is that not allowed to be discussed either? I find this the best way to test PRO programs to see if they are worth it. don't want to make any faux paus and cause the board any undue stress.

AntiVirus: Norton AV
Firewall: Router
Internet: IE

I used to have NO antivirus, and used ZoneAlarm. Never got a virus in 4 years, but decided I should probably go ahead and get Norton just in case. It seems to catch some spyware/adware as well.

I tried Norton Internet Security once (came w/my motherboard) but couldn't stand it.

I had Zone Alarm running in conjunction w/my router, but after I got the router, ZA never reported any attempted intrusions in several months, so I let it go.

No-one uses Sophos? Well I do. I used to use Kaspersky, got sick of it, cant explain why. Use the Windows Firewall, got sick on Zone Alarm aswell, seemed uneccessary.

fenway said:
I read the rules, one question I have, If i make a back up of a program/game, and swap it with my buddies for one of their games/programs is that not allowed to be discussed either? I find this the best way to test PRO programs to see if they are worth it. don't want to make any faux paus and cause the board any undue stress.

Fenway, you may want to check the EULA's of the games/programs you're swapping with your buddies. Most software vendors say you are allowed to create one backup for your own personal use. Once the software changes hands (selling, giving, etc) however, I believe the license goes with it and you are required to destroy your backup copy. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but that could technically be perceived as pirating/warez.

X1g

X1ggy said:
Fenway, you may want to check the EULA's of the games/programs you're swapping with your buddies. Most software vendors say you are allowed to create one backup for your own personal use. Once the software changes hands (selling, giving, etc) however, I believe the license goes with it and you are required to destroy your backup copy. Again, I'm not 100% sure, but that could technically be perceived as pirating/warez.

X1g

Your probably right about that rule, I haven't checked it out thoroughly. It actually makes me laugh. All these big businesses run by the hippies who used to copy records to tapes.

We only trade amongst ourselves and not for profit lol....

I subscribe to the theory that if something truly is worth paying for, I will pay for it...otherwise with all the junk out there, i tend to borrow things and try them out, put them through testing phases and see if they stand up to their claims.

Back