• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TCCD or BH-5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

epidemic

I have some HyperX TCCD 200 mhz 2-2-2-5 that someone will trade me for some of the Corsair BH-5 that is 2-2-2-6. Im on an Abit NF7-2 should I make this trade? The BH-5 is on a friends computer that I built a long time ago and has NEVER been overclocked. Im also looking for the future when I upgrade to an AMD 64. I also know I cant give the BH-5 more than 2.9V for now.

I'd keep the TCCD. BH-5 can usually only run at tight timings but not very high (relative to TCCD) and they need more than 2.9v to do it. The nf7-S is pretty easy to mod though to deliver 3.2v or so from your 3.3v rail.

I guess I'd just just test them both and see what works best for you. The TCCD will allow you to go up close to 300 fsb though, when you swith to A64.

my $0.02

If its old school BH5 maybe its a good trade, but in general TCCD is worth more $$. Also if you can not add >3.2v BH5 isnt very useful.

If your willing to use a DDR booster or vmod your mobo to give your ram 3.3v then the Bh-5 will own on the TCCD becuase of NF2 systems love 2,2,2,5 timings.

Also on an a64 250 FSB with 2,2,2,5 timings and a divider beats out 290 2.5,3,3,7 1:1 almost all the time.

In my book, if you get BH-5 that can do DDR500 with tight timmings it's worth about the same as TCCD that can do 275+ on loose timmings. Since you have and AXP, it's imperative that you go for the tightest timmings as your mobo will probabably max out before the BH-5 does.

What something is worth to you and what it costs are different things though. You can easily find UTT that does DDR500 for $100 these days, its hard to find decent clocking TCCD for under $200, especially since all the TCC5 came out that is speed binned. That and the uproar on XS and DFI-Street about the 4vdimm jumper possibly killing RAM over time and causing cold boot problems is icky. :)

Eldonko said:
What something is worth to you and what it costs are different things though. You can easily find UTT that does DDR500 for $100 these days, its hard to find decent clocking TCCD for under $200, especially since all the TCC5 came out that is speed binned. That and the uproar on XS and DFI-Street about the 4vdimm jumper possibly killing RAM over time and causing cold boot problems is icky. :)

Can't get better deal than some TwinMOS for $86 :attn:

whitebloodcell said:
with an A64 Venice System on a DFI NF4 Ultra board, are lower timings more desirable than higher speeds?

depends on which chip you'r using, with TCCD you will get higher speed and with BH-5 you will get lower timings/2-2-2-5 and even 1.5-2-2-5 if you feed it some volts.

Eldonko said:
$100 does not guarantee DDR500, it's still a crapshot. While the probablility of achieving DDR500 maybe relatively high, it's not guaranteed. I've gone through about 4gigs of the new Winbond UTT from various namebrand manufacturers and out of those 8 modules, only one was able to hit DDR500 stable.

I am trying to decide between 3000+ and 3200+ I can save £30-£50 if I get the 3000+. But which CPU I chose will have an effect on what Ram. Since if I get the 3000+ Ive only got a 9x Multiplier so will need to have a high FSB to hit a high overclock. (Im watercooling so am hoping for atleast 2.7Ghz) So if I need a higher FSB I need higher clocking memory. no? If I choose the 3200+ I can have a lower fsb and therfore lower memory clocks and tighter timings.

whitebloodcell said:
I am trying to decide between 3000+ and 3200+ I can save £30-£50 if I get the 3000+. But which CPU I chose will have an effect on what Ram. Since if I get the 3000+ Ive only got a 9x Multiplier so will need to have a high FSB to hit a high overclock. (Im watercooling so am hoping for atleast 2.7Ghz) So if I need a higher FSB I need higher clocking memory. no? If I choose the 3200+ I can have a lower fsb and therfore lower memory clocks and tighter timings.

You don't need high clocking memory to hit high clocks with your CPU, just use deviders like 9/10, 5/6..., but if you want high mem bandwith then you will need something like TCCD.
Check this thread

RedDragonXXX said:
You don't need high clocking memory to hit high clocks with your CPU, just use deviders like 9/10, 5/6..., but if you want high mem bandwith then you will need something like TCCD.
Check this thread

I was under the impression that dividers were not to desirable. What advanatge does high memory bandwith give you? What figure does that refer to?

fldrice said:
$100 does not guarantee DDR500, it's still a crapshot. While the probablility of achieving DDR500 maybe relatively high, it's not guaranteed. I've gone through about 4gigs of the new Winbond UTT from various namebrand manufacturers and out of those 8 modules, only one was able to hit DDR500 stable.
Yeah I know what you mean, I went through a bunch of gigs of UTT looking for >DDR500. Finally I spent a couple more $$ and got ocz 3200 gold, does >DDR620 easy :D

Back