• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case modding help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micro0195

hi guys im new to this forum and water cooling in general and was wondering if you would be able to tell me if it is possible to mod the rear of a chenming 601 full tower to fit 2 120mm fans that way i can mount a danger den black ice extreme dual radiator and if so if you could please post pics thanks in advance for your help guys.

when you do this posts pics of your setup cause i have a 602 and am looking to mount a double heater core too

btw welcome to the forums

thanks man, on the back of your 602 does it look like it would be possible to drill the holes to make 120mm fans fit?

Loose the drive cages and put the rad there. A bit of mesh on behind the front grill will stop the dust bunnies as well..

Other possible locations are top of case or bottom of case.

As for the rear of the case, well, getting 120*240mm rad in there will be very tricky. Oh, and the dual rad has no problem cooling your stuff. Nor should the single 120mm rad be a lot worse..

yeah welcome to the forums, i would suggest the front of that case, it seems to have nice vents :)

Veland said:
Loose the drive cages and put the rad there. A bit of mesh on behind the front grill will stop the dust bunnies as well..

Other possible locations are top of case or bottom of case.

As for the rear of the case, well, getting 120*240mm rad in there will be very tricky. Oh, and the dual rad has no problem cooling your stuff. Nor should the single 120mm rad be a lot worse..

thats what i did when i water cooled and before i parted out my rig.

i took the front cages out and just mounted the heater core to the front and my CPU temps with the GPU in the loop never went over 40C

:EDIT:

i found a pic before i parted it out:

attachment.php

thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it and am thinking about mounting the rad in the front.

no prob, but you will need to do some modding, and get adaptors to put you hdd's in your 5.25 bays, correcT?

xCRF450 said:
no prob, but you will need to do some modding, and get adaptors to put you hdd's in your 5.25 bays, correcT?

correct, i used a single bay 30$ antec hdd cooler. it was probably the most expensive choice out there, but i need the hdd to be cooled, fit in one bay and plus the antec cooler will give you the hdd temp and then the inside case temp without doing anything, so its a great feature and its still running in my system right now.

Front or top, either way. With a higher CFM fan you could probably use a single rad, but a dual rad is going to cool better and you won't have to crank the fans up as high to get better temps.

Yep, my Papst fans (pretty quiet anyway) are running at 7V, the cpu never climbs above 35c (also cooling NB and GPU, but modest parts 2500+ and 9600)

Using the BIX2 with DD blocks in a Chieftec full tower

Back