• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GUIDE: Mounting the PA160 in a PC61 - 56k beware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[O-CuK]Marci

Vendor - Thermochill
As we're all aware, the new ThermoChill PA160 rad doesn't conform to previous "standard" dimensions of Built-for-PC Watercooling Radiators. In fact, it's a tad large... HOWEVER... it's size was partially chosen as more or less every case on the market is 160mm wide or more, so either way it should go in one way or another. We decided to demonstrate this by squidging it into a LianLi PC61!!

S4100045.jpg

The PC6x range is one of the nicer compact MidiTower cases... lightweight... not overly expensive, with staggering build quality...

S4100046.jpg

First job, remove the drive cages. The front cage can be removed by undoing the 3x thumbscrews and sliding it out. The bottom drive cage - just drill out the 4x rivets for the tray and out it pops...

S4100047.jpg

Now, on the front panel we have 3x simple cuts. Dremel time. The hole left behind by the removeable HDD Cage is rectangular. Simply follow it's two sides down into the 80mm fan blowholes... and then a single cut across the bottom of the two blowholes to make them into one single hole... cut along the pink lines!

S4100048.jpg

A few minutes of dental-drill noise later...

S4100052.jpg

Now, on the rear of the inner face of the chassis, we unfortunately have some sticky-out items... namely the on/off switch and reset switch, and activity LEDs... this prevents us mounting the PA160 directly onto the case...

S4100051.jpg

But all is not lost... the ThermoChill PA160 mounting kit adds additional mounting points. Combined with an antivibration pump mounting kit, this gives us the standoff we require...

S4100049.jpg

Attach the wings to the sides of the rad, and the antivibe kit to the wings, and then go round the outer edge with the sealing foam provided with the mounting kit. (Note, I did this fairly quickly... it'll look as neat as you choose to make it look...)

S4100050.jpg

Now, to aid mounting, we need some holes. 4mm Drill bit...
From the bottom left mounting hole of the front left 80mm blowhole, measure straight up from the center of the screw hole 149mm, and make a mark, then measure horizontally from this mark 144mm, and make another mark. Drill both these out with a 4mm drill...

S4100054.jpg

Slide the rad into place...

S4100055.jpg

Note the bottom left antivibe mount in the lower left blowhole screwhole, and the lower right mounting point bend to sit on the lip of the righthand blowhole (there isn't enough metal to drill a proper mount here)

S4100056.jpg

Secure with supplied nut and washer... on the bottom right mount, the washer and nut should clamp onto the lip of the blowhole. The radiator is now held in place solidly by 3 corners, and is clamped / resting on the 4th. This is nothing to worry about, and is still a very sturdy mount.

Seal round the edges and any gaps with any leftover sealing foam. Voila! Rad mounted!

S4100059.jpg

Now, you could stop there and call the job done... but the LianLi's front 3.5" blanking panels are attached to the removeable caddy, leaving an unsightly hole...

S4100060.jpg
(Apols for poor pic quality)

There are several options... if you window-modded your case you may have some matching ali left to make a square panel and suspend behind the hole with double-sided tape... or you could cut a square of perforated ali sheet instead...

S4100061.jpg

Personally, I prefer the proper approach. Take the removeable caddy, masking tape around the inner front lip, measure in 12mm (0.5") and draw a line all the way round...

S4100063.jpg

Take your dremel, and cut!

S4100064.jpg

And voila!!

S4100065.jpg

Rad mounted, front blanking plates still attached!

S4100066.jpg

S4100067.jpg

This now leaves you with all 4x 5.25" bays free, for any combination of HDDs (in 5.25" adapters) and CD devices (eg: 2x CD / DVD Drives, 2x HDDs in 3.5 > 5.25 adapters, a Matrix Orbital in front of one HDD, a FanBus in front of the other HDD...

Or, alternately, recycle the bits you have left... the part that you sliced off the removeable HDD cage can be remounted into the bsae of the case with 4x screws, to give you back 3x 3.5" HDD Bays conveniently positioned in an airflow path...

S4100068.jpg

Done n' dusted!

Performance has already been covered by Cathar in his thread at overclockers.com.au, with the results also posted to the PA160's product page at ThermoChill.com

Anyone in the states have thes ein stock yet? I'm totally itching to snag one.

Great "how to" btw!

Speak to DangerDen. They have stocks en-route.... they just haven't pu tthem on the site yet.

A pump mounting example....

Dual CSP-MAG...

S4100069.jpg

S4100070.jpg

S4100071.jpg

Still plenty of clearance for SLI setup, doesn't foul mobo, retains 3x 3.5" bays. Alternatively, remove 3x 3.5" bays and use D4 / 1250 / 1048 etc.

I'll give the guys at DD a ring. I've been itching to put this in my case since I first started watching the development of it.

Any idea what the price is going to be in the states?

It should work out at the current US price of the HE120.2 or thereabouts... slightly more I think... price reductions on HE series, so PA160.1 sits where 120.2 USED to sit on the price ladder...

Back