• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone ever put their dually's under ice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Well I am just looking to see if anyone has any experience with putting their dually system under some phase-cooling? I know that the D1 LV Xeon's (1.6) are hitting 3.2 with stock air-cooling and was wondering if I could see a decent gain by freezing them :D.

If I could hit say 3.6, when air would only get me to 3.2 it would be worth it in my opinion to build a phase unit for them.

The cost of the phase is not an issue since I can do all of that myself. I guess my time spent on it and the extra power it would draw would be the negative of doing this.

What do you guys think? Would ice boost the OC's that much?

Ad Rock said:
Well I am just looking to see if anyone has any experience with putting their dually system under some phase-cooling? I know that the D1 LV Xeon's (1.6) are hitting 3.2 with stock air-cooling and was wondering if I could see a decent gain by freezing them :D.

If I could hit say 3.6, when air would only get me to 3.2 it would be worth it in my opinion to build a phase unit for them.

The cost of the phase is not an issue since I can do all of that myself. I guess my time spent on it and the extra power it would draw would be the negative of doing this.

What do you guys think? Would ice boost the OC's that much?

For most people, with the LV Xeons, the limiting factor of overclocking is not temperature - its voltage. My LV's run around 35 idle and i think 45 (maybe) load with terrible airflow (new case hasn't been modded yet). The PC-DL, NCCH-DL will not provide more than 1.6 volts. Mods can be done, but they can destroy the boards (easily).

IF you were to do the VCore mod, and then have temperature limiting, then sure, I would wager that a bit o' cold might bump the clock a bit more. Until you can get past the voltage limitation, however, I don't think cooling will bring MUCH more performance.

Ya I was kinda worried that the limited Vcore might make freezing the chips a little in-effective. I think I saw a Vcore mod over at datamine.tk but I couldnt see what it allowed you to raise the Vcore up too.

Anyone care to speculate the increase I could see from freezing the chips?

not sure about freezing the chips but you may want to talk to fishy about the vcore mod i think he has done it but from what i can tell it will let you go 10% over your set vcore so if it was set at 1.6 you could take it all the way up to 1.76 volts hope this helps

Actually 1.76 would toast the chips , And the limiting reason the chips would never do 3.6 is the chips themselves..Think about it ya have a 100% o/c and even though they run strong and i know the feeling of come on these have more in them ,,really they just dont.........

diehrd said:
Actually 1.76 would toast the chips , And the limiting reason the chips would never do 3.6 is the chips themselves..Think about it ya have a 100% o/c and even though they run strong and i know the feeling of come on these have more in them ,,really they just dont.........

Alright sounds like I shouldn't waste my time trying to make a dual evap unit for them. I guess 3.2 ghz is still pretty fast :D.

Back