• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

summer project.... watercooling, need help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

Like many here, i don't really need water cooling :) i'm just freaking bore out of my pants with air cooling so i want to go with something a little better (the noise is killing me, even though i'm using all 120mm nexus fans in my air cooling setup). I don't break 50 loaded on my air cooling but with the low speed fan that won't get me alot more than what i already have.

I've done some readings and i'll probably go for a compact setup that fits inside my case. I have a tower that's a little smaller than a full tower but deffintely larger than a mid tower, so there should be some room in there (to give some idea, it has a removeable mobo tray that can fit an ATX case, plus it can mount 2 PSU in the PSU rack).

So if possible i probably want a CPU block, Radiator, and a pump (correct me plz, i have no clue on this stuff). And if i want a GPU block, how would it effect my performance?

At the end it all comes down to prices, i want this stuff cheap :), so any recommendation from you guys are great as i'm seeing so many brand of water block and radiator and pumps, it's just hard to pick them out without alot of reading on reviews.

PS: i went and read the sticky, it really helps alot but it's not entirely up to date, any more added info is great :) thanks.

Last edited:
Define Cheap please, <$100 <$200 or <$300 or more than that range. Your preformance will vary depending on how much you want to spend.

If you are looking to overclock, everything will be around 300. If you're not, i would recommend getting an air gpu cooler and using water to cool your system.

billiam said:
If you are looking to overclock, everything will be around 300. If you're not, i would recommend getting an air gpu cooler and using water to cool your system.
I disagree, if your going top of the line watercooling with EVERYTHING pimped out, its gonna be expensive. (silver G5 is what $300 by itself) However, that gets you nominally better temps than the run of the mill upper level watercooling setup. I belive you can get a high end setup for no more than $300, my system cost me ~$160 and I droped 25C off my load temp when compaired to Intels stock HSF. I'm running at 45C under load with a silence geard setup, when my ambiant is 75F (~23C) which gives me a C/W of .22 when my fans are at 5v. Yup, my two 120mm fans are running at 5v and pulling air through filters while they are at it. :cool:

less than 100, that's my aim, nothing much just better temp than what i have now. My OC prescott is running 48 to 50 loaded, idle is like 42 or 40, this is on a low speed delta stacking on top of an XP90, case is a full tower as i stated with 4 X 120mm low speed nexus for intake/exhaust. There's also a duct on the CPU out to the side.

Heatercore: ~$20
Inexpensive pump: ~20-40$
Water block from classifieds: ???
Cheap tubing: ~$5-10
2 120mm fans: ~$10-30.
Hose clamps : < $5

Jas said:
Heatercore: ~$20
Inexpensive pump: ~20-40$
Water block from classifieds: ???
Cheap tubing: ~$5-10
2 120mm fans: ~$10-30.
Hose clamps : < $5

don't need the fans, i have a box full of 120mm at home :) i bought so much, it'll come in handy. If the tubbing is the same as my fishtank's air tub then i have it too. Problem is the heatercore, the pump and the water block, let see if i can get some for cheap....

You need 1/2" ID tubing. (I say 1/2" because if you go the cheap and easy heatercore route, any smaller Id tubbing will probably not fit over the tubes) Depending on your tank setup it might use 1/2". However its almost guaranteed to be 1/16" walled, which kinks like a mofo.

Heatercore, you can pick up from just abuot any autoparts store, the 2-302 and the 2-199 are popular. The 2-302 is a bit bigger. Check out Weapons guide on how to mod a heatercore for instructions.

(The easiest way is to just cut the tubes a 2-3 inches from the tanks, and slip your tubing over them)

Back