• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair XMS2 5400UL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StrateJaket

Need help with Corsair XMS2 5400UL

I've asked this question in a few different forums and have not gotten any replies. Hopefully someone here might be able to offer a little assistance. I upgraded to the above mentioned ram about a week ago, and I can't seem to get it to run at it's rated speed of 675mhz. The highest I've been able to obtain thus far is 460. I tried to manually set the freq to 600 and it actually lowers it. Currently I have Overclock Profile of 5% on and that is the only way I've been able to actually up the freq. My voltage is at 1.9 (actually when I open AI NOS to check this it still says it's 1.8v, how accurate is that utility? if the bios says it's at 1.9 that is where it should be correct?) I know I can bump the volts up, but it didn't make any difference for now so I turned it back down. It's very stable at 3-2-2-8, and I'm not even going to mess with those until I can get the freq up higher. Is it possible that I need to OC the processor more? I know 3.0 isn't blazin nowadays, right now it's running at 3157mhz. My temps are fine and I can up this more if needed, I just wanted to see what kind of ideas anyone can offer. Plus I'll be water cooling very very soon.. Thanks for any help offered..

Last edited:
Can you give us some more details about the specs of your entire system - might not be the memory's fault after all...

Sure I had it in my signature, but for some reason my signature is not showing. Sorry about the rookie mistake, I know without specs no help can be offered.

ThermalTake Kandalf Case
ThermalTake Silent Purepower 480W
ASUS P5AD2E-Premium
P4 530J 3.0 @ 3157 (for now)
1 Gig Corsair XMS2 5400UL 3-2-2-8 @ 280mhz
Sapphire Ati X800
2 Seagate Barracuda 80gig Raid 0
NEC DVD & CD R/RW Dual Layer

The specs help. You need to check what your divider FSB/Memory is. I have a feeling you forgot that you are running dual channel.

I recommend looking at the memory overclocking basics thread here in this forum to get a better handle on the basics.

Download CPU-Z to see your real frequencies. Get SetFSB for your motherboard to get better overclocks and change setting within windos

There is a nice thread about how far this memory can be pushed: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62412

yOUR 460MHZ AT 3.2.2.8 MIGHT BE QUITE A LOT...

Last edited:
Accroding to Corsair:

4-4-4-12 675mhz @1.9v
3-2-2-8 675mhz @2.1v

Thanks for the posts, I have been away for a couple days. I will check what you guys posted for me and get back with you if it helped or not.

Well at least I know I purchased some good ram. I just don't understand why when I set the FSB up it slows the ram down. What would cause that to happen? The highest I can get is 210fsb, which makes the ram run at 280mhz at 3-2-2-8. Even if I set it up to 215 the ram slows down to 210mhz. I'm confused I guess.. Thanks for any help..

Back