• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2003 (standard server) file sharing issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

My file sharing is working great (running w2k3 server for training purposes), but have this odd issue that is causing me occassional grief.

I can open the mapped Z drive fine, to my sysvol shared folder. But if I map directly to any folders within the sysvol share it adds a 20 second delay on the load times. It eventually loads and works okay, but once I do a save/change I have the delay again. This is a general rule, but even when just opening the Z mapped drive I occassionally get a long delay as well.

There aren't any other processes eating resources, etc. Seems this started happening when I setup the domain and the DNS for the domain name has been handled by the server (have DNS installed).

Help from anyone familiar with server software welcome! :) Google and technet hasn't been much help. I'm trying to narrow down if it's a client or server issue. Like just now I was going to create a short cut and when I clicked browse on the client to select the location of the item (path) it hung for a bit. It appears to have something to do with windows explorer, but can't explain why...

That's odd - I think I just figured it out (after 2 hours of researching).

It's a client side issue - in windows explorer I had to select, in folder options under view, to launch each folder as a separate process. Now it pops right open! :)

Last edited:
Okay, popped open for a quick minute and started flaking out again.

So... the FINAL solution, which has been tested thoroughly now, was to manually assign all TCP/IP settings on the workstation (including the server as DNS first and my roadrunner/host DNS as second and third options).

Wanted to add this to the DB for posterity's sake.

Pinky said:
Okay, popped open for a quick minute and started flaking out again.

So... the FINAL solution, which has been tested thoroughly now, was to manually assign all TCP/IP settings on the workstation (including the server as DNS first and my roadrunner/host DNS as second and third options).

Wanted to add this to the DB for posterity's sake.
Pinky if you have to manually assign TCP/IP to the client(s) then your server DNS /DHCP settings are not right somewhere. Not that manually setting TCP/IP is a bad thing, but you should not HAVE to do that if DNS and DHCP are setup correctly.

DHCP can be a drag on a network in a large environment, exactly the situation that you most need it in.

Back