• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sudden restart nor no display

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

So my computer suddenly restarted while watching a movie and then the light on monitor turned amber. I opened the case and fiddled with some wires and then it started. I went back to my movie and it restarted again. Now I cannot get the pc to boot period. The hard drive activity light is constantly on the monitor light stays amber and I do not hear the POST beep. I have checked all connections.

Let me note that my video card and power supply are both new and are only a few months old. Also I have not recently had any new drivers installed.

maybe reset the bios and see if she'll start up again.

If not, then it's a process of elimination. I usally pull all the cards except video and disconnect the hds cds etc. See if the mobo will post.

Is the machine over clocked alot?

Can you hear the fans starting up? Also, it might either be your motherboard (having no POST beeps) or it could be a dead video slot.

No my cpu was overclocked just a little but I have since set it back to stock speeds. Today I took my system to best buy (I know, but I had no other shop nearby) they hooked it up and it started right away. I took it home and hooked it up to my fathers LCD screen and I am typing this on my computer. So it seems like a monitor problem.

However why was my computer constantly rebooting could that possible be caused by a faulty monitor?

Well it's possible that the monitor was causing the video card to go on the fritz and that will reboot the system a lot of times. If I were you, I would put the machine under a stress test and make sure that it is stable, I had one machine to boot fine after you let it set for a few hours and then 45min into operation it would reboot and not boot again giving memory problem POST beeps.

Holy crap now I'm getting the same problem with the LCD screen, I am really beginning to think it is my mobo going out on me. I have practicaly replaced every part with known working parts or brand new parts (including the psu) and still the reboots and now this display problem.

Could be heat, i know my P4C800 DLX doesn't boot first time, if its warm in my room, and even then it boots with default bios settings, and i have to reboot again, its partly because of some of the settings in the bios that are loaded. In the winter i never had this problem. The reason i bring this up is because it seems to boot, after its been off for a while. This isnt a very likely cause, but worth looking into before you buy a new mobo.

Back