• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

very high temps on AA8XE normal???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

hey guys im building a computer for a customer but the temp's are ridiculously high.

the computer idles at 57 with EQ and under load its hovers at 77-78

this has to be wrong right? but at the same time when i feel the heatpipes, they feel hot,

what could be the problem???? the Vcore voltage is default and everything else for that matter.

the only thing i can think of is that either my xp-120 is dirty or its not getting good processor contact, or my temperature gauge is off,

but at the same time a 20C increase in load temps is a ton compared to the normal 10-15 i get for any other computer

cooling specs,

xp-120, artic silver 5 , silenx 120mm 14dba 58cfm

1- 120mm and 1- 80mm silenx case fans

wires nicely wrapped, round ide cables.

i know i used plenty of AS5. i spead a thin even layer over both heatsink and cpu, then i put a rice grain sized drop of as 5 on the center and attach the heatsink it in one downward motion

-------------------------------------------

total specs

3.4 @ 3.73 14x267,
2 gigs PQi ddr2-667 @ ddr2-711
AiW X600Pro 256
rosewill 550W psu
abit AA8XE

on that note my 90c with a 14db 92mm silenx fan on it beats or ties my xp120 with 152cfm delta sidewinder.

but anyway, at least im not completly overheating the processor if these temps are real 78 max temp minus the EQ's reading 7C hot minimum leave me at a max of 71C
which is ridiculously hot still considering its still within spec

72.8 thermal spec on my 550 3.4

i was reading a post where a guy was getting 55C on water with a 550 lga775 3.4 so... im thinking that maybe i just got an extremely hot running processor like he did.

oh and about my bios, i tried to update them but it said my updater was otu of date and to download 1.33 so i did but then that one says the same thing so... i think i have bios version 22 , ill try to pause the startup screen since it starts up too fast for pressing tab to do any good

ive just reseated the heatsink and cleaned it and changed the fans so that the rear 120mm exaust is blowing out and the 80mm side fan over the processor is blowing in and the heatsink fan is blowing down.

(had all that reversed)

update

i turned it on and it was idleing at 50ish, then i primed it and it jumped to 72 (its cooler right now than earlier) in like 5-10 seconds

ugh... this stinks i dont know what to do

the temperature is obviously correct, since i watched it rise from a realistic temperature to the one its at, the heatpipes feel extremely hot so that means its getting contact...

i guess the only real explanation is the processor is just a hot running processor

no i didnt mod the cooler, it seemed to fit just fine, tho i had some troubles hooking the first two hooks on the mount and when i finnaly did, later i tried to take off the heatsink i was unable to undo the same 2 hooks .

perhaps the fins are hitting the northbridge cooler,and keeping it from being flush with the processor, ill take a look at it. since my system temps are steadily rising and have hit 44

and my video card is noticably warm/hot to the touch as well as the air around the heatsink videocard and northbridge

hmmm..yeah ill definatly check that out thanks batboy.

Turn the N/B it was needed on my zalman 7700 too.. Turn it, don't forget to turn the fan. By the way setup a dualfan in series as intake, it helped me to keep it under 66 in full load.

//Christian

well as usual batboy is on point.

my heatsink is definatly touching the northbridge fan. i cant even slide a peice of paper under it

i had installed the heatsink 2 times now on this computer and didnt notice the fins touching the NB fan so i suppose its not really pressing hard, but it is a seperate surface that the clamps are adhering to so im assuming that the heatsink is at a slight angle to the processor which would explain the drastic heatrise under load. as well as the above average idle temps

in short
how do i go about removings the NB heatsink, i see the screws but ive never done it before, do you have to take out the motherboard?

batboy, could i possibly get a adequately explanation on doing it being as ive never removed a NB? :D

oh and by the way, Sshadow in your sig when you say 285x14 3.99
and then say 667 @703

how is that possible?

mine is running 267x14 3.73 ddr2-667@711 at a 3:4 ratio

yours will run ddr2-570 at 1:1 and ddr2-760 at 3:4

The N/B cooler is held on with a couple of push pins. You'll need to remove the mobo to get at the back side of the pins. I carefully squeeze the barbs of the pins on the back with needle nosed pliers. Once the heatsink is off, you'll have to clean all the thermal gunk off. Reverse the fan, so it's pulling air instead of blowing. Now reinstall the cooler with it rotated 180 degrees with a little fresh Arctic Silver. The push pins will snap down into place.

well as an update i was loading avi movies off dvd's i have in a collection and was putting them on the large harddrive then got tired shut down and went to bed

next morning i went to turn it on and it froze and continued to freeze at the abit logo before the bios

i guess its a sign its time to flip that NB heatsink.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

by the way could someone look at my other thread about how my memory killed my other computer and now it wont boot.

i still have 3 other computers im building for family and customers tho so im good for computers, but in 2 weeks or so they will all be gone and i need my computer working. i may buy a motherboard as i think it died. or something...
maybe i just have horridly bad luck and got 2 bad/incompatible gigs of memory... i dunno what to do buy memory or a motherboard.....

well batboy as usual you were right, the xp-120 was hitting the northbridge just slightly keeping the heatsink from being flush with the processor.

i switched around the northie, (and put on a XP-90C) and now temps are completly normal idle 41C which is about 34-30C havnt tested load temps but ill be reporting back on them.

Back