• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions for Watercooling Veterans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rlsnyder99

Registered
1. How do you compare radiators? Example:

Radiator(1) indicates effeciency as 100 Watts with 15C coolant temporature rise.

Radiator(2) shows effeciency as 570 KCal per hour (2261.91 BTU per hour).

How would you compare these two radiators?

2. In relationship to the pump and the radiator, where does reservoir connect?

3. How do you bleed air from your configuration?

4. Can a T-Line and a hose connected to a fillport in the top of my case serve as a reservoir?

5. What is the effective benefit of using the 1/2" hose over 3/8" hose?

7. If I use a reservoir, do I still need to bleed my system?

8. Do chrome fittings increase the chance of corrosion?

Thanks for the feedback....

1-No idea..
2-Mine is right before the pump. Makes sure the water is bubble free before it enters the pump
3-With a res, just run it and it bleeds all by itself. With a t-line, it helps to move the case around a bit. And stop the pump, add water, restart pump.. repeate as neccesary
4-Has sort of the same function, yes.
5-Should give a little less flow restriction, but most 1/2" fittings have an internal opening about the same as a 3/8" hose. So not too great a difference.
6-Hey, where is question number 6!
7-Sort of, but it does make it easier. The thing to remember, is that there can be air pockets in you rad that can be difficult to get out, whatever you choose between t-line and res. So shake that case around!
8-Not that I've heard.. Chrome fittings AFAIK are brass with a chrome plating, and brass isn't very reactive, compared to the classic alu/copper thing..

2261.91 BTU per hour/60=37.6985 btu/minute

37.6985 = 0.713540042137 watt/square centimeter
37.6985 BTU/minute square foot = 4.60347493248 watt/square inch
37.6985 = 7135.40042137 watt/square meter

For statement 1, radiator 2's specs are telling you nothing. Because there is no temperature differential listed, the information given (570 KCal per hour) is utterly useless, and is purely marketing material designed to gimp people.

The statement would be valid IF a temperature differential was listed.

Veland answered the rest quite satisfactorily.

Chrome is pretty close to brass/copper on the galvanic reactivity scale. It is essentially galvanically inert in a loop with brass/copper. May need to watch that certain additives don't attack it though.

Back