• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Negative Ion Mouse

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
AOpen Sets a New Milestone by Introducing Negative Ion Mouse

"Yang said the negative ions generated by the mouse will repress the growth of germs, viruses; clean up the blood of human beings; revitalize the mouse user’s body cells; strengthen human body’s immune system; reduce disorders of human body’s respiratory system; ease anxiety and stress; and improve productivity"

http://club.aopen.com.tw/news/News_ShowAnswer.aspx?RecNo=7347

IMHO this is the dumbest most ILL thought out piece of hardware in the history of PC hardware.
While Negative Ion generators are useful and I use air cleaners with Ion generators myself, I don't use them anywhere near my CRT monitor and not on my mouse surface.
With a negative ion generator, the negative items attach to the positive charged air molecules, they then clump together and the molecule then drops or attaches to the nearest object, that would probably be your mouse surface with this product.

For people using CRT's a negative ion generator could cause monitor disturbance. Anyone that has a air cleaner with a built in Ionizer can tell you that the surrounding walls next to the air cleaner will turn blackish due to the contaminants affixing to the wall or nearby surface. Anyone that has placed a negative ION generator next to a CRT can tell you it causes the screen to become 'wavy' or blurry.

Well this mouse IMHO will cause the mouse feet and optical/laser sensor to 'clog' up and the mousing surface will also become grimy and will be need to cleaned on a frequent basis if you want your mouse to be able to glide effortlessly across the surface.

-This is a stupid product-

iondrawing.jpg

Can they prove any of their claims? If Gillette just got sued for their razor claims, why would they promote this?

The claims of the benefits of neg. ionization are beneficial depending on who you talk to, but this mouse is not the way to go about it.

If you want a air cleaner with an ionizer, buy a air cleaner with an ionizer. If you want a quality mouse, buy a Logitech or similar brand.
This AOpen product give a new meaning to, there's a sucker born ever minute. I also hope the

the claims are exagerated by quite a bit. While it is true that that could indeed happen, it would be localized to your hands (at most) and if it kills germs like that it would also rip apart your cells because guess what bacteria is... They claim a maximum range of 1 meter which I will take with a few grains of salt (about a trucks worth :)). Also the reason there is dirt where you used this ion generator. Its because it negatively charges the dirt which is then attracted to a neutral object (a wall or table). This PR would make some of the best dictators proud :)

SewerBeing said:
the claims are exagerated by quite a bit. While it is true that that could indeed happen, it would be localized to your hands (at most) and if it kills germs like that it would also rip apart your cells because guess what bacteria is... They claim a maximum range of 1 meter which I will take with a few grains of salt (about a trucks worth :)). Also the reason there is dirt where you used this ion generator. Its because it negatively charges the dirt which is then attracted to a neutral object (a wall or table). This PR would make some of the best dictators proud :)

I know how ionization works same as you, but I also know that you don't want a mouse that creates gunk on your mousemat that inhibits the mouse movement. Negative ions in a mouse is not a good idea for the reasons I named above.

I am not argueing with you about the benefits of Negative Ions, my point was this is a ridiculously stupid and not thought out product. My guess is this is marketed to the people that buy those USB bubble fishtanks and USB noodle strainers

PS No Pic was at the site dicecca112

zip22 said:
its from consumer reports. they found the ionic breeze didnt clean the air nearly as much as traditional filters, and it can cause lung damage or irritate people with respiratory diseases.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45313-2005Apr11.html

theres many more details in the May issue of consumer reports

Hmmm....It looks like Sharper Image follows the Bose method of marketing; advertise like crazy on inferior products, and then sue anyone who gives said product a poor review. :rolleyes:

Silversinksam said:
I know how ionization works same as you, but I also know that you don't want a mouse that creates gunk on your mousemat that inhibits the mouse movement. Negative ions in a mouse is not a good idea for the reasons I named above.

I am not argueing with you about the benefits of Negative Ions, my point was this is a ridiculously stupid and not thought out product. My guess is this is marketed to the people that buy those USB bubble fishtanks and USB noodle strainers

PS No Pic was at the site dicecca112

I wasn't arguing with you, I completly agree that their claims are outrageous and that the black gunk will be bad for your performance. I just wrote what I did because their claims are not complete lies, just stretching the truth a lot.

Back