• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Block for Socket A/939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fridge

Registered
Do any high-perfomance water blocks around today offer different mounting options so I could have a WC setup on my current Athlon XP, which wouldnt need changing if I upgraded?

I have a vague inkling the top swifty does, but can I get some confirmation on that?

Cheerios..

ooh btw, the two mobos in use would be 8rda+ (now) and dfi lanparty 939 flavour...

uhh, the polarflow universal blocks do, and the swiftech blocks can have changeable hardware bought for them. the D-tek wW have that option too, i think you can buy a64 mounting hardware from their site.

Well, for Socket A, your slightly limited. This is due to the fact that the little plastic notch on the socket needs to have a rut to go into, or it doesn't go on as well, while Socket 939 needs to have its base flat, without the notch.

I believe there are ways to get past this, but most of them involve filing down the plastic that says "Socket A" on your Socket. Never can remember what its called.

Elif Tymes said:
the plastic that says "Socket A" on your Socket. Never can remember what its called.

It's called the cam box.

The D-tek WhiteWater will fit both with a simple mounting plate adaptor. It fits Socket A natively. It has a flat base because the block is narrow enough to not have to go over the cam box. So all that is needed to convert it to socket 939/754 mounting is a plate that bolts to the top, and has the mounting holes in the correct positions.

wow, speedy responses! :eek:

swiftech website says stepped version of their mcw6002 works on socket A, but not on socket 939... why would a stepped version not work!? bit confused there...

Otherwise, thanks a bunch!!

The stepped base prevents the bottom of the block from making full contact with the CPU. That results in bad cooling performance.

ah right, cos of the heatspreader...well, im sure it couldnt make that much difference could it? since the heat is concentrated in the centre, and i doubt the heatspreader spreads it that much.. hmm

it might be a case of sanding down the cam box (why the hell does he know that?!)

yeah, im thinking whitewater, just need a uk supplier now... $38 shipping from d-tek? no thanks....

The Dangerden TDX block has different tops for socketA and 939 that you can switch. The extra top costs $15.

Back