• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I'm looking to purchase an iPod mini, but I've heard a lot of horror stories about compatability problems with the various versions of usb drives. It states that I'll be needing a version 2.0 usb drive...

...how can I find out what version is my usb drive?

i think all usb ports that arent too old are 2.0

if not pci cards exist for a couple bucks

But I wonder if USB 2 is standard on laptops yet? My dad has a HP with AMD Athlon 2800 (a newer laptop), but no USB 2. It drove me nuts (I hate seeing any PC not running at full potential, even I dont use it) and I've updated all the drivers for him, installed USB 2 drivers, but it is USB 1 only.

But IIRC you need to go Control Panel > System > Hardware Management (maybe, it's been a while) I should say something about the type of USB hub, not 1 or 2, but 2 shows as "advanced" or "enhanced" something like that.

if it's built into your motherboard then there may be some options in bios relating to it, the bios on my board has an on-off control for usb 2.0 (for some reason the default is off...)

when did you get the laptop?

also, don't get an iPod. they die every few months (the battery)... luckily Apple has lowered the price to get it fixed (used to be around $265, now its around $65ish)

Hmm, it is a work comp and the BIOS is locked out, I may need to pull the batt. I dont know for sure when the company bought it, but my dad got it early this year, and is the first user.

I think I'll second the suggestion to not get the iPod. I dont have a lot of positive feelings for them myself.

I recently bought and iPod mini and it does work fine with USB v1 USB v2 is faster but v1 copes fine. Also to make the battery last longer only charge it when it is COMPLETELY drained, keep turning it on until it turns itself off then turn it on again etc.. till it wont turn on. Also don't use the backlight unless you absolutely have to. It drains the battery really fast i mean really. With the Backlight it lasts around 3.5 hours, without about 16 hours. Hope this helps

Back