• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TwinMOS Speed Premium BH-die Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
Just got my PC3200 Speed Premiums today from newegg...... and yes they are the 1A4T BH-die sticks..... Needless to say I'm very excited about this as I love TwinMOS and I've been waiting a long time for these to hit the states. Lets see if these can come close to the awesome performance of my Mushkin Redlines.

Review inside: :D

I'll put up some pics if they come out clear enough.

Last edited:
update..... upon opening up the packages I've discovered the rumors to be true..... it actually has BH-5 right on the chips..... interesting. :D

This is subject to change with burn-in but my initial results are that these sticks are not made for NF2 architecture systems (but I already knew that). See the Loc Nar in my sig for system specs. The system will run memest without errors at 200fsb 2.5-3-3-11 with 2.9v however they would not run without errors at 210fsb. They would not run without errors at 200fsb 2.9v with 2-3-3-11 or 2.5-2-2-11 timings. Maybe later I'll bring out the DDR Booster and try them with that but as I'm not planning to run the system with the booster it's not important to me at this moment.

My Kingston HyperX sticks with BH-5 will run at 220fsb 2-2-2-11 timings with 2.9v, however those sticks are well burnt in.

Now on to the NF4 and my sweet Lanparty Ultra D.....

While I'm in the process of switching these over to the White Hot system I'll describe what these sticks look like. They are on the KO-6633 pcb that is popular for TwinMOS.

The writing on the chips look like this:

TwinMOS
05094 BH-5
TMD7608F8E44B

NF4 TESTING using the specs in my signature for White Hot

I'm using the exact same timings as was used with my Mushkin Redlines.

2-2-2-5 Tested with Memtest86+ test #5 (20 passes minimum)

FSB 200 2.6v (2.5v caused thousands of errors)
FSB 244 3.3v J17 Modded (this is far as I'll run the board)
FSB 245-249 3.4v
FSB 250-252 3.5v
FSB 253-255 3.6v

Not bad sticks for the price, however they fall quite a bit short in performance compared to the Mushkin Redlines PC3200 sticks (257 3.3v) and TwinMOS AA4T sticks (260 3.4v) which go higher on less voltage.

Edit 6/20/05: I'm going to redo this now that I've gotten a new level of stability using the DRAM Drive Strength and DRAM Data Drive Strength.

FSB 247 3.3v J17 Modded (this is far as I'll run the board)

Last edited:
I have same set up and now after about 500 total passes on memtest 5 I can do about 234 2-2-2-5 at 3.2volts. My Venice is now at 2.8ghz and vcore is only 1.48v.

I am using 510-2 in the orange 2&4. What are you running/slots.

el said:
I have same set up and now after about 500 total passes on memtest 5 I can do about 234 2-2-2-5 at 3.2volts. My Venice is now at 2.8ghz and vcore is only 1.48v.

I am using 510-2 in the orange 2&4. What are you running/slots.

I'm using the same bios and same slots as you..... highest I could get on 3.3v with these sticks was 244.

Hey. I got mine up to 255 memtest 5 I think. I'm here at fishy's lan. I'm on the same bios and same slots as you guys.

Crimedog told me to run 2-2-2-6-9-12, and the "6-9-12" really helped me out. It actually does better than 2-2-2-8-15-18.

g0dM@n said:
Hey. I got mine up to 255 memtest 5 I think. I'm here at fishy's lan. I'm on the same bios and same slots as you guys.

Crimedog told me to run 2-2-2-6-9-12, and the "6-9-12" really helped me out. It actually does better than 2-2-2-8-15-18.

how's the party? what voltage are you using for those at that speed?

2-2-2-6-9-12. I'll have to try those and see how it works. also other have set drive preamble from 5 to 5.5 but I haven't tested that yet.

g0dM@n said:
Let me run more tests, and I'll be back...

please do..... I just did a preliminary run with these.... didn't really bother to tweak them but if they can get me over 257 with 3.3v then I'm switching to these.....

I can past test 5 at 3.5volts 255fsb 1:1 2-2-6-2-9-12-2-2-3-enabled-1-increase-0-6-2... 7ns, 5ns, dynamic timer enabled and the bottom ones default... test 8 sucks ***!!

I picked up some of this stuff, the pc3500 BH-5, 1 gigs worth, for around £90, its the real deal if you like. Although my board only has 2.8vdimm, i was almost tempted to rig up my ai7, see how good the ram is, but with exams etc doubt it would be wise. This stuff looks like it goes well, almost as good as the mushkin, wish i hadn't fried it :/.

I don't know where some people are getting 2x512 SP kits, but I cannot find them. I also cannot find the pc3500 model, but I guess those ones are all overseas?

Anyways, I just spent about 2 hours on my TwinMOS. I decided to test them individually, and I did this at the 3.5v setting, which my DMM says is 3.56v. One stick did 260fsb at 2-2-6-2-9-12 etc, but would error LOTS at 265... it took me a while to tweak it to 260, so I didn't bother to try to push 261-262. The other stick was erroring at 260, so I set it to 257 and it was fine (maybe it could have hit 258). I didn't feel like spending TOO MUCH time, so considering I knew which stick was better I tried the better stick in dimm2, and the other one in dimm4. It turns out I get less errors when I reverse them, where the better stick is in dimm4, and the worse one in dimm2 (both orange).

Okay, so I have a bios savior and it has 510-2 bios and 510-3 bios. In all honesty, I'm not sure which one I'm on, and have NO CLUE how to know which is which (is there a way?). I am 80% sure that I'm on 510-2. Alright, so I set my fsb to the lesser value of 257 (since the weaker ram did that memtest #5 and #8 stable). I kept getting errors, and so I kept changing values in the BIOS.

I finally got it MEMTEST stable at 257fsb. How? Simple... all I had to do was change Trwt from the default value of 03 to 02. I was so dumbfounded. I thought that 03 would be easier on the ram, and that 02 may have been too tight, but WOW what a difference!!

Here are my current settings on ORANGE dimms, although I'm still tweaking as we speak (remember, I put the better stick in dimm 4 (closest CPU) and the other in dimm 2):

257fsb 1:1 @ 3.5v setting with +.03 OFF (DMM reads 3.56v at checkpoint above dimms)

**Re-editted**
CPC On
Enabled

Increase (was Auto)
Level 7 (was 8)
Level 3 (was Auto)
Auto
Fast
Auto
Disable
16x
7x
Disable (8 Bursts)

I think that changing the strenghts (level 7 and level 3 now) is what helped out with test #8. I think that MAYBE those are critical in order to pass test 8. In any case, I could not get super PI stable. Memtest was clear, but Super PI wouldn't run. I have gotten my cpu to do 299x9 memtest/prime stable before with TCCD at 1.55v. I tried out 257x9 at that same voltage and super PI still couldn't pass. I'm assuming that it's the memory controller, unless the ram just can't pass in windows. For some reason I actually want to blame the memory controller for once. All UTT hit a wall around 255ish... this one I spent a lotta time on to get memtest stable at 257. My TCCD couldn't do more than 275 2.5.3-3-7, even though individually they could hit 290s. You guys think it's the mem controller?

**Still tweaking btw...**
Going to bed now... got work in the morning, but before that I have to change my brakes on my car, AS WELL AS THE MUFFLER! :( Gonna be a long day... wish me luck.

Last edited:
Well, i had to buy two 512MB sticks, as you would expect dual channel still works.

https://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=308282 - is where i got them

Your results look pretty good, very promising for me anyway, these will come in handy in a few weeks. Keep tweaking, you could try a burn in, using different volts and running memtest, taking the volts higher each time.

Well, it does lower bandwidth, but also it's weird... sometimes I get more stability with a tighter timing, like what I mentioned earlier about changing tRWT from 03 to 02.

I just did a burn-in overnight at 3.55v at 260fsb on test#5, where it would get like 20 errors each loop. I don't know if that's the best way to burn it in, but no one has told me the best way. :(

**EDIT**
I just ram SuperPI, and couldn't get 1M stable until I lowered from 257 to 254. I then tried 32M and it failed within 30 seconds. I lowered to 250fsb and booted into windows. I ran 32M and it did about 2 minutes worth before it failed.

I give up. Anything below 250 is just beyond what my goal was. I've been hitting mid 240s on UTT for so long, and just can't get higher than that. Either I'm just a newb, or I'm unlucky. I don't know what to do anymore. :(

Last edited:
Back