• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baberpervez

Here's the deal.

I happened to be so lucky to get a stick of PC3200 that could overclock to a hefty 250 Mhz X 2 = 500 DDR (!) with only 2.8 Voltage of memory. (That's PC-4000 performance)

I ran this neat little stick for roughly three months until my new CPU upgrade that allowed me to push the CPU FSB to 260 X 10. Naturally I wanted the memory to follow suite with a 1:1 ratio however to push it from 2.50 to 2.60 it required a **** load of voltage. In fact I only got it stable running at 3.0v at that speed.

Amidst a glorious LanParty game of Warcraft III (yes I was kickin *** with Abominations, Gargoyles, and a Vampire Hero with his infamous Inferno unit to follow suit..... err.. more than enough info perhaps.. heheh)... when all of a sudden... freeze!

Obviously the comp crashed forcing me to restart. However no boot. After adding another stick of PC3200 Ram tothe system (new) I ran memtest86 only for it to only result in about 10,000,000 errors in the old memory stick . That's 10 Million errors.

maybe if there were 1 or 2 then fine, perhaps the memory wasn't in such a bad condition.. but 10 million... mmm.......

I think it's fried. I don't know, I've never fried memory before so I need some feedback from ocforums.

Is my memory fried and.. if it is.. what can I do now? Is there anyway I can fix it? I've heard that with overheated hard drives it helps to put them in a fridge for a while? Can I try that with the stick?

:: wonders:::

It sounds like you fried the memory!

Maybe try to set down the voltage and underclock your system. If it still doesn't work you can be quite sure there dead. You could also try to use other sticks or put your stick(s) in someone elses computer for testing.

Check each stick individually in memtest. Sounds like a bad module or modules. In either case, there is no way to repair the damaged IC.

I bought a new pair of OCZ Dual Channel Gold's PC-4000 and they work like a charm. So no I don't think it's the slots. I think I'll pop in the old stick later on (I dunno maybe time will heal it somehow?.. Hey it does for rest when you're sick?).

but if it doesn't work, I'll try the underclocking procedure. Thanks!

Back