• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to make a pins?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
unfortuantly only basic tools and a table drill (drill mounted on table , goes up and down)
i tryed to get acsses to CNC but... it didnt work

easiest thing would probably to just drill a hatch like this #### a bunch of times, drilling out the material where the lines are, and then the center thats not drilled away will be a pin

or use a dremel and grind away the same ### pattern instead of drilling it out

they also gave me another metod
take a copper screw (first i have to find one) , screw it on the main copper plate and take the screw head off.

I drilled holes through my baseplate, slightly countersunk by hand with a large drill bit, propped it up on 4 1/2" spacers on a piece of aluminum plate sitting on my kitchen burner. I set the 12 gage copper wire pins down into the holes and fed a tiny dab of solder into the countersinks using the burner to heat it all.
When it cooled, I dremeled off the excess and lapped the block.

This way, there's only a thin solder interface between the pins and the base, and the cpu die touched the pins directly conducting right into the water.

Oh, at the time I worked in a factory, and I had access to a huge drill index in the stockroom that had letter, fraction, and decimal drill sizes. It was easy for me to find a drill that was .003 larger than the 12 gage wire pins for a tight fit. Don't know what size it was now...

Just my $.02

The Big One said:
do u have some pics?
i can't get the idea correctly

Sadly, no. That was my first waterblock, before there was anything but cross-drilled blocks available comercially (and also slightly before digital camera's were under $500).

It's basically the same as soldering pins into drilled holes (like the cups on a cascade WB), but my holes/pins extended all the way through the waterblock base. The spacers were temporary, only to allow soldering the pins to a uniform height. The block was soldered upside-down, the lapped side facing up and the pins down.

Gahh, I don't even have LeapFTP installed or I'd whip up a diagram in PSP.

Back