• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I just need more Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amoroso

System specs in my sig... Ive been waiting to build my own computer for awhile... but Im going to wait it out till there are processors twice the speed of my 2.3ghz sooo... 4.6ghz... so in a mean while I should just wait.

Anyone know where I can get a cheap 1gig chip at? New Egg but Im not sure which one?

Also a long time ago, I put in a ram PC100, it was from a system longgg time ago and my mother board started to smoke... this was about a year ago. But my system seems to work fine... should I buy more ram? or just save my money?

If you want to buy some used memory, you can probably find a really good deal either through this website, or hardforum.com in the classifieds, but you have to have 100 or more worthy posts to be able to see the classifieds here. Look for some used ram maybe like corsair ddr 3200 or something, Im sure theres a lot out there that is still good hardware.

Why not just go to NewEgg? I dont know the number the ram is... all I know that its a DDR SDRAM... so it doesnt matter if I get a 2700... or 3200 and so on so on?

You have a Pentium 4, so you will need to get pc3200 (DDR400) RAM to take advantage of your cpu fully. I'm guessing you don't need more ram, just faster ram because pc100 is very slow. As for the 4.3ghz P4, not gunna happen. P4's are coming around to the end of new, faster ones being manufactured. Intel is moving on to new CPU's. You could overclock your current CPU a little bit. My Suggestion to you would be to get this.

Why not get a 'name brand' RAM, like corsair or mushkin? Mushkin RAM is dirt cheap now. You can get a stick of 512MB PC3200 2.5-4-4 Mushkin RAM for $41 at newegg. Link. Just order 2 and you'll have 1GB working in dual-channel mode.

You would be better off scraping that 512mb stick you have now if it isnt atleast PC2700 and upgrade to a 1gb stick. You'll have a gig of ram, and an extra slot open, should you want more. However, I don't think you need more than a gig. You're motherboard does not support dual channel. Although your motherboard's chipset does not officially support DDR333, it still works. You will have to overclock a bit. My suggestion would be to get a DDR400 stick and overclock your fsb until your ram speed increased to DDR400 specs.

Im not sure, its an intel board, its pretty old, It was a used system I bought all together so it didnt come much with stats on anything, but I have the model number of the board in my sig.

I did that sites recommended thing. It isn't very accurate. My motherboard only supports up to 2.7volts and it is telling me, 2.8volt RAM(Balitix) is compatable. Since I overclock it makes it even worse.

Here is some sticks I would use. Linky 1 Another Linky My pick

Back