• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keyboard cleaning!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniph

Well heres my stroy:
I was in clan match one day and I went to get a drink of my water, the water tipped and spilt on my keyboard. After this, I quickly unplugged it, took out all the keys and hair-dryer'd it for about 1 hour. I hooked it back up and it worked fine, about 30 mins later, i noticed some keys weren't working together, such as 1 and s and others. I also noticed G and H and N and B keys were sticking alot.

I took out all the keys again, and cleaned them with asetone and cue tip as well as the base.

I put the keys back in, and they all seemed to work fine, about a day after using the keyboard i noticed that the keys were sticking again. I removed the keys and there was no sign of any mess/dirt but I still recleaned it.

Since then (about 1 month) I bought a new keyboard and have been using it, my friend bought my old one, and a day after he bought it, he said the G, H, B, N keys were sticking so I came over and took a look. The keys were perefectly clean and so was inside the keys, the base and everything. What I think happened is that under the keys, there is a little rubber base, and under that is where the mess is. Should I take it apart and try to clean it?

Lol they are dry, its been a month since the accident.

Then it's probably hosed. The carbon contacts may have partially dissolved or the keyboard controller died. I've had plenty of keyboards die and most of the time there's really nothing you can do to fix them.

Listen, every key works fine, the only problem is that the GHBN keys stick.

Then go ahead and open it up and try cleaning under the contacts, but if it doesn't work then it is probably screwed.

Most modern keyboards are so fragile - basically disposable. :rolleyes:
Can't tell you what this heavy 1986 IBM mechnical has been through. Drinks spilled,
dropped, etc ... still works perfectly.

Back