• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any way to put in 2 cd drives with only one IDE slot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. Put one as master, other as slave. To do this, make sure you have a cable with a total of 3 connectors. Set the jumpers to master on one, slave on the other, and connect the cable in. Should boot fine with both drives.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

are you talking about an IDE plug on the motherboard? cause that will obviously support 2 drives.

if you're talking about 1 5.25" drive bay, you could use laptop drives i think.

If you do it wrong you'll know. You either see a screwed up ID in the bios for the drive or it will freeze when it goes to recongize the IDE drives and as man_utd said Welcome, hope you stay a while, and become a part of our community :welcome:

man_utd said:
Yes. Put one as master, other as slave. To do this, make sure you have a cable with a total of 3 connectors. Set the jumpers to master on one, slave on the other, and connect the cable in. Should boot fine with both drives.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

hmm, i tried that, but when i did- my comp didnt read any of the cd drives.

o wait, was there anyting special u needed to do for jumper settings to make master and slave? all i did was plug in the connectors.

ok now i understand, but what do u do to configure as master and slave? im unfamiliar wit this and unfortunately my cd drives never came with manuals

On the back of the drives are the jumpers you can change. I usually just put them on "cable select". Plug your master drive into the middle plug on the cable, and the slave to the end plug.

If it still doesn't work when you try to boot it up again. Remove the jumper in the slave drive entirely and then try it again.

Edit: Make sure you leave the other Drive's jumper set to Master.

Last edited:
hibner said:
On the back of the drives are the jumpers you can change. I usually just put them on "cable select". Plug your master drive into the middle plug on the cable, and the slave to the end plug.

Its actually the other way around, slave is the middle connector and master is the end.

_slh_ said:
Its actually the other way around, slave is the middle connector and master is the end.
I actually believe that changed at one point. Starting with Ultra ATA 66, the Master is on the end (because if you only have one, you want it on the end for signal quality) and the slave is in the middle. Before that, I believe it was the other way around.

this may be a stupid answer but, are you sure the drives are powered by the molex, meaning are you sure you reconnected them?

Back