• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ PC4800 300X9 + Silent Hunter 3= :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Despotes

Either Silent Hunter 3 doesn't like running on a oc'd system or "stable" is entirely too subjective.
SH3 runs fine at 275X10 2.5-4-4-7-13 1t 1:1 (It will not do 2.5-3-4-7-13, but that setting does pass SuperPi 32) :shrug:
I've tried 2.6 to 3.0 volts messed with tref, Max async, Data Drive Strength..., but keep getting crashes to desktop when running 300HTT 2.5-4-4-7-13.
Is the memory at fault or is SH3 entirely TOO stressful on systems? :eh?:
Exactly what IS considered stable? Running little benchies to determine stability is almost useless if the reason one buys fast memory is for gaming. :rolleyes:
All other programs/antivirus are disabled when playing.
Thanks for any help--- :)

Hey there......

1. I found my sweet spot around 2.7 Ghz. Using the 5/10 bios, it allows me to run 300 Mhz stable pretty easy.

2. Also know that the timings you use will be very important when it comes to running high clocks stable. Check out my post in the "TCC5 does NOT suck thread" for a list of all the settings that I used (all of which are SuperPi 32M stable).

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=3736928&postcount=45

Feel free to PM me with any questions or comments ;)

deception``

Last edited:
I'm using the 510-1 bios and I've tried (I think) just about every combination of memory settings to get it stable while playing SH3, but nothing works.
Thanks

Stable is stable, unstable is unstable.... It's just like being pregnant you either are or you are not there NO in between :bang head

But determining stability is difficult, just because it will run SPI, or a couple of hours of the P95 dose not mean it's stable. Try running P95 and 3Dmark001 at the same time for 24 hours then memtest86 for 24 hours, if they can pass those marathon tests you can be 98% certain of stability. If that sounds like too much trouble then just back your OC down until SH3 doesn't crash any more.

I always get a laugh at these clowns who do a 3 hour run of prime and declare there rig stable, also they usually use the blend test, when they should be using the "Large FFT" (it doesn't say MAX Heat and Power consumption for nothing)

So you're saying running P95 and 3dMark2K1 together for 24 hours and Memtest is THE method for determining stability...but, is that OCZ's definition of stability for warranty purposes? ;)
I guess to me, playing all your games would be the practical method for determining stability since that is why most of us want stability.
I just had to reset to optimal default settings to get my system to boot.
During an attempted bootup I got: "Cannot start Windows...missing or corrupt file:windows 2000 root>system32\ntoskrnl.exe..."
So here I am at default settings. ????

Thanks---

Ignore his words Despotes:

First of all, I never said anything about NOT running Prime or Memtest or any sort of utility, so it's pretty foolish of him to assume anything more than what I have said. Secondly, he should try to realize that everybody's definition of stability is different, so it's pretty stupid to get on anyone for using a different method.

Lastly, remember that your issue is more so the memory and not the processor. Here, you are trying to run the CPU at 2.7 Ghz as opposed to the higher, stable frequency of 2.75 Ghz. Granted, the A64 has an on-die memory controller, but it is clear the issue of stability comes into play when moving from 275 HTT to ~ 300 HTT.

Anyhow, my next suggestion would be to look into a newer bios. As we all know, DFI boards have always been quirky when it comes to the bios, and this board is no different. My second favorite bios aside from the 5/10-1 is the 4/14-3, which I also think makes for a much better starter bios. However, there are also a number of other favorites, such as the 5/10-3, 5/10-2 (included the modded Hellfire), and the 3/10 variants. I know this sounds to be a bit tedious, but it might just take a bit of "fooling around" until you find the bios that works best with your system. As always, good luck and let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

P.S. - I always laugh at clowns that assume things, yet cannot give offer specific advice worth mentioning :eh?:

deception``

I think I'll try the 510-3 BIOS out tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.
This reminds of a teacher who liked to say,"...it's whatever bias is the best bias to be biased with. :)
Thanks for the help.

Back