• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling water questions please help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

micro0195

hi guys i really appreciate the amount of help you have all offered over the last few days and im glad that this isnt a noob flaming forum. i have been reading the forums alot and i have sen posts about adding anti freeze to the water in the cooling loop and i have seen posts about using specialty additives and i was wondering if you would kindly tell me what is better for getting the lowest temps antifreeze and water or water and the additive and if you know of any really awesome water additives please tell me about it thanks alot guys.

i think this is more a matter of opinion, and not really whats best.

i ran 10% antifreeze, and when i switched to 100% distilled (small amount of water wetter) i dropped 5º. of course, it could be risky. antifreeze might cost u a few degrees but its comforting knowing u wont likely develop any corrosion or such.

personally i think fancy coolatns are a jip. they offer nothing that cant be achieved with a cheap coolant solution.

$0.02

It's really a matter of personal preference. A lot of people do it different. I thought there was a poll that showed what people used. Maybe you can find it.

micro0195 said:
what is better for getting the lowest temps antifreeze and water or water and the additive and if you know of any really awesome water additives please tell me about it thanks alot guys.
The reason for the additives is to prevent/delay biogrowth in the water and/or galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals being present.
AFAIK, pure (distilled) water is the best for temps.

I run a mixture of 10% antifreeze and something like .1% iodine (~30-40 drops of iodine tincture in a gallon of distilled) two months so far no growth, and no visible corrosion.

If have anodized aluminum and copper, so I run about 15% antifreeze just to be safer regarding corrosion. So far all is clear as a bell after a few months. I also use some waterbed algaecide to kill anything. I also have learned in another thread that you can use a little dishwasher jetdry once it is bled out to lower the water tension and get rid of the little bubbles. It does the exact same thing as water wetter, and I have read over and over that water wetter is not the way to go. Forget the expensive additives- they are just money wasters.

Straight tap water with from what I've learned, hazardous ammounts of bleach in the water.

Clouds tubing and makes the air smell like summer (wet cut grass), all year 'round

*takes deep breath*

But, no living things in my bucket or bong or lines! and corrosion is nil, I dont think there is enough bleach

Pro*Banshee said:
Straight tap water with from what I've learned, hazardous ammounts of bleach in the water.

Clouds tubing and makes the air smell like summer (wet cut grass), all year 'round

*takes deep breath*

But, no living things in my bucket or bong or lines! and corrosion is nil, I dont think there is enough bleach
That may be great for a bong setup, but you could hardly do worse with a sealed loop system. Tap will cause buildup in the tubs and on the waterblock(s) along with the posability of destorying your pump(long term, if parts of hardened minerals fall off into the loop) and besides, distilled is cheaper than a freaking soda. And the chlorine they put in water does not last very long in air, or it will cause problems with mixed metal loops in a closed loop.

I use 95% distlled water, 5% zerex (roughly). And a little bit of UV dye (few drops).

Last edited:
Oh, yea I forgot that I emptied a highlighter(liquid based, not soaked sponge) into my loop. I don't have any UV lights but if I have a slow leak highlighter will leave behind trace visible UV reactive chemicals after it and the water evaporates. :)

bleach

clocker2 said:
The reason for the additives is to prevent/delay biogrowth in the water and/or galvanic corrosion due to dissimilar metals being present.
AFAIK, pure (distilled) water is the best for temps.

bleach x 1oz./gallon should do it
:bang head

'specially in a CLOSED system...if air gets in...mmore bleach???

pplapeu said:

bleach x 1oz./gallon should do it
:bang head

'specially in a CLOSED system...if air gets in...mmore bleach???

first off whats up with "8888888888888888888" It gets annoying fast and makes YOU seem like something is not right up there. secondly, are you saying PUT bleach in a close loop? If so that is one of the worse things you can do, bleach is highly ionic, so will cause corrosion and not to mention will likely eat away at your loop, including pump components and anything not designed to deal with chemicals.

I was wondering too what is up with the "8888888888888888888". It is annoying. pplapeu, don't keep giving out a bunch of nothing. It might confuse micro0195 who is just trying to figure things out.

Sunrunner20 is absolutely right. You might as well put in battery acid instead of bleach. If you have ever cleaned with strong bleach you know that it is very caustic. That is why it makes a good sanitizer.

Stick with 10%-15% antifreeze of any kind in distilled water, and something like some iodine or algaecide to kill growth, and you will be doing the best you can do.

Back