• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ugh... new memory killed my computer... what do i do.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

well guys heres the story, the short of which being im cluesless as to what to do now.

i have a albatron 875p pro R1.05 and i have a gig of patriot ddr500 which has errors and wouldnt run stable past 230 and started degrading. so i bought a gig of giel ddr500 and swapped it out so i could overclock to the processors content.

well it didnt like the ram and wouldnt boot to bios.

so i switched out the new ram and put back in the patriot ram with errors

reset the cmos

booted to bios and it froze in bios, resest again same freeze in bios, reset a third time and got to windows. turned off the computer and put in the geil ram alongside the patriot. booted to windows, shut down. swapped out the patriot and put in the geil alone and started the computer and it booted to windows.

watched a movie then went to restart the computer to start overclocking it, but when i restarted it, it just never booted back to bios

reset cmos tried again froze in bios,

swapped out giel for patriot

reset cmos

got it to boot to windows

shut down

put back in the second gig of giel alongside patriot

booted to windows watch a few movies then suddenly it seemed very slowed down and under load with nothing running then it froze.

took out giel reset cmos and booted to windows and it froze quickly

i give up. now none of the ram works... ive changed the timings to 3448 from 2.5 447 set the pci agp

nothing works. why did this happen and what should i do? buy a new motherboard? new ram??

Well, I was hoping someone else would answer, because this has me puzzled. The times I've worked on computers with bad RAM, it never took anything else out except maybe corrupting the Windows registry or data on the harddrive. If something on the RAM module shorted out though, anything is possible. You probably shouldn't of continued using the module(s) that had tested bad.

What is the currect status? No post? No beeps? Do fans spin up? Pull all cards out except vid card and unhook all drives except a known good HDD (make sure you unplug the floppy drive if you have one). Maybe try one stick of RAM in at a time in different slots.

If that don't work, I would try memtesting the new Geil RAM on another system. Try to avoid using the RAM that gave you memtest errors. I would also test PSU, vid card, and CPU on another mobo. The mobo and/or PSU would be what I first suspect.

I have seen bad ram kill mlbs before. In my client case his ram actually fried the socket.
In your case I would reseat the cpu, put known good ram in, reset the cmos, and manually set all the timings to manufactor specs. If u already tried that then its probably time for a new mlb. :cry:

gl
show

yeah batboy im totally stumped as well. in fact i have given up. i have another computer to test the giel in so ill see if its any good. that is if the amd asus A8V will decide it doesnt have any problems with that brand of ram.

for some reason i think its the motherboard. tho thats just odd...

frankly ive reset the cmos too many times now for my taste... +10 times tells me there is something broken. any other time resetting cmos takes care of things.

oh and the status.. well it basicly acts like you have overclocked it too high.

you know, fans all spin up but nothing happens on the screen.

once i got it through the bios super fast , just exited without setting anything and it did the whole siren beeping noise that says its overclocked too high or something.

other than that basicly it just is actin like its way overclocked even tho its a default setting ive even lowered the ram timings vs the spd.

a question. what happens when the northbridge dies?

anyway yeah.... im totally stuck, im going to test this ram out on the other computer. and then if its good im replacing the motherboard. then the powersupply if thats no good.. ugh....

i think i hate computers....

Do you have a fan plugged into the CPU fan header on the mobo? If you don't, maybe the mobo is trying to shutdown because it thinks there is a fan failure. It's happened to me before when I cleared the CMOS.

no i dont have one plugged in, havnt had that problem with it but you are right ill try it... that happened with the AA8XE im building, i had to plug in a fan header if im going to reset the bios..

by the way due to this setback makin me wanna trash this thing. ive decided to buy an abit IC7 (hopefully it will like giel ram...) and buy a mini freezer $150 1.6cubic feet true 0 degree (0C or 0F i dont know but either will suit me fine) and coat my motherboard videocard soundcard and ram and ide cables plugged in and make a hole to the outside to wire the harddrives dvd drives and powersupply. im just going to leave my xp90C on with the fan in the freezer. this should be a fun experiment. im gonna give my uncle my 6800gt and buy a 9600pro or xt 256 and overclock it.

this should be fun :)

tried the pluggin in the cpu fan (14dba silenx 92mm), the system just beeps now when all the fans spin up,

oh well who knows what happened. i bought an ic7-g max 2 i belive for myself

but the lady i was building the AA8xe for decided it was too much for her, after all the printers and her lcd 19 inch and her x600pro all in wonder and the remote wonder for the tv tuner

so basicly im goint to sell her my ic7-g with my 3.2 with 2 gigs ddr500 and a 9600xt256

and keep her 3.4 550 aa8xe with the 2 x 1gig ddr2-667 and the all in wonder card.

:) gonna put this antec 24pin true 550 i have here on it too. then im going to buy a freezer that can cool at a rate of 27Kg/24hours or slightly more to be safer and really overclock this baby in mineral oil after ive sealed it with conformal sealant

here is my other thread where i have been working on the freezer setup
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=390731

yeah, i think that motherboard isnt good..you might wanna test or buy a new one of abit models like IS7 if you wanna the 865 chipset, or the IC7 with the 875 chipset,

I have both of them, i have the same cpu...SO BOTH ARE THE BEST OF YOUR MONEY

Back