• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AAA8XE-3RD EYE or AL8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bosozo9

Abit AAA8XE-3RD EYE or AL8?
i need some input on which mobo to get... i like to overclock and this is what the setup will consist of:

evga 6600gt 128mb pci-e
wintec ddr2 (2x512mb) 1gb pc2-5400 675
intel p4 630 3.0ghz
zalman 7700cu (if it'll fit)

now i am really torn becuz the new AL8(945 chipset) is out and is really looking good but i doubt i would ever have the money for a intel dual core cpu. the AAA8XE-3RD EYE (925 CHIPSET) is a proven performer and it comes bundled with a guru clock.

thanks in advance
mike

:shrug:

personally I would get the 945 Chipset or get the aa8XE non-third eye. Its useless from what I've read. The Zalman will have clearance issues with the Northbridge fan, if I were you I'd get the XP-90C. Memory is fine, but I chose Corsair at a lower speed (pc4300) because I don't trust no names even though wintec has had some good reviews. Dual cores are gonna drop in price, and frankly 248-300$ for the lowest end isn't that bad, and I would hope they will include HT on the rest of the line, not just the EE in the future so that would give you that avenue for upgrade, but the 630 is a great performer, I personally love mine

Yeah, it's a tough call. It would be nice to have a mobo that has a good upgrade path. But, the AA8XE is indeed a known solid performer. I wouldn't say the third eye thing is useless. It's kind of cool, but it is sort of a gimmick. Everything it displays can be brought up on the monitor via the Abit uguru program. I might go with the 640 CPU if you can afford a little extra expense.

The Zalman 7700 will fit just fine, had it myself - just take the little fan off the northbridge. You won't need that crappy chipset fan anyway since the 7700 will cool the northbridge just fine. I had the AA8XE 3rd eye and I liked the little thingy.. :clap: but unfortunatly my board just wouldn't overclock after a while, even though it did run rock stable for about 3 months. I know another who had the same problem, so I don't know if I can recommend this board.. depends on if you're going to run it stock (which I doubt since you prolly wouldn't be here :rolleyes: ). I'd look for another board.. 945 is a bad performer compared to 925xe and 955 (check http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/mainboard/p4-ddr667-roundup-may2k5.html).

well i took your recommendation and just bought the 640 and i can't wait tell it hits may hands :) . Well i guess i am really leaning on the side of the AL8(945) right now. i'm thinking that some of the issues some are having with their AA8XE not overclocking anymore might not be a issue with the AL8. i read something about the Capacitors that they are using on the AL8 are from japan and the quality for those are suppose to be way better.
thanks all!!

Never had any problem with my AA8XE. If you are getting one of the newer chipsets, I'd get the i955.

Back