• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling and Mobility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cooter

I am thinking about setting up my next rig with water cooling. The only issue that i have is that i carry my computer along with 2 others (for those less fortunate that opted for the crappy laptop), to work so that a bunch of us can game after work.

Is water cooling and 1 or 2 time a week transporting of the computer a nono, or is it no problem?

2nd question is, i have read but want input as to mobility, would i want to use a reservoir?

A well designed watercooling setup can be just as portable as an air cooling setup. Some times it can be considered even more portable becuase you don't have such heavy and high center of gravity cooling device on the cpu. And as for res vs. tline both can be sealed perfectly and both can leak of you make a choice and end up with a res that leaks. Same goes for Tline, Personlly I'll go w/ Tline mainly becuase water=heavy.

The heavy factor is not the big deal i may put this all in the Cooler Master CM Stacker (37 lbs, i think)

I have a bought water cooling. I don't see any problem in tarns porting it. I wouldn't say it's more difficult than transporting my old Zalman air cooling. Besides that water cooling is a good deed for every computer so don't worry about it just get it!

Probably better to use a t-line to save the weight. You just need to setup WC so that it fits in the case. You just obviously don't want things hanging out of it all over. You can mount a dual heatercore in the front of the case, and with that huge case, you should have no problems.

making a portable wc system is that much better, imo. its great to go to a lan party with a watercooled system. if you have enough confidence in the watercooler to put your hardware in it to begin with, then it should be sturdy enough to throw in the back seat.

cooter said:
The heavy factor is not the big deal i may put this all in the Cooler Master CM Stacker (37 lbs, i think)
I was not speaking of overall heavy factor, but rather the heavy factor on the processor and the motherboard. A heavy heat sink with a higher center of gravity will put more stress on the motherboard than most water blocks will. The stress can cause the heat sink to move a little and ruin your mounting or if a lot inertia is supplied and suddenly removed you could snap the heat sink off the processor altogether or damage the mobo, knock off the fan or one of several other things.

Why I always recommend internal. I can transport my system at any time no problem just as readily as any air cooled system. But I vividly remember when I had that external box solution and then needed to move it - Homer Simpson imitation time DOH!

calvin said:
Why I always recommend internal. I can transport my system at any time no problem just as readily as any air cooled system. But I vividly remember when I had that external box solution and then needed to move it - Homer Simpson imitation time DOH!
Which is why I opted to what I will call a exinternal setup, my radiator pump and fans are all external to my case, in the litteral since, but they are all inside a box which is connected to my case. I end up with space in my case, and only one unit to carry around.

Back