• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some advice again, can't take the heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wall7486

Registered
A month or two ago I was so sure that I was going for a water cooling rig. However, it just don't seem ideal on my Lian-Li 1000B case. The front intake fan doesn't seem to cut it if I put a radiator on it, and that's after removing the hard drive cage. So I just tell myself forget about it, I can live with fans. However it is summer time now and my room gets very very hot, especially when you're two video cards are giving off heat, and my case feels like an oven when its on full load.

Basically, my problem is that I can't stand the heat. I have never modded a case before, some have suggest me to cut the top of my case, so I can add 2-3 fans on it and buy a dual or triple radiator. That sounds good, but the problem is that I've never mod a case before and I don't want to destroy such a nice case. I have also been looking at the Koolance Exos II, but many people are saying that it is not worth the price, because a customize water cooling rig can outpeform it. So does anybody have any advice?

im not sure wc will help temperatures in your room. a wc system more effectivly removes heat from your system and deposits it into your ambient temp. a cooler pc means a warmer room, imo.

when i installed my water my room got very warm

Changing cooling doesn't negate the fact that a cpu is putting out xxW or xxxW of heat. Watercooling just moves that heat away from the CPU better than air cooling. You should still be dumping the same amout of heat into the room, if you feel warmer, might be becuase of a placebo effect.

sunrunner20 said:
Changing cooling doesn't negate the fact that a cpu is putting out xxW or xxxW of heat. Watercooling just moves that heat away from the CPU better than air cooling. You should still be dumping the same amout of heat into the room, if you feel warmer, might be becuase of a placebo effect.
my room temp def went up almost 5º when i installed water. i assumed that since my cpu was running at a lower temp, its pulling more heat from it and adding to the ambient peak.

i got a lcd and that alone cooled my room off, crt's produce quite a bit of heat. its def tolerable now

stick a pump amd res and core in the desk drawer

Wall7486 said:
A month or two ago I was so sure that I was going for a water cooling rig. However, it just don't seem ideal on my Lian-Li 1000B case. The front intake fan doesn't seem to cut it if I put a radiator on it, and that's after removing the hard drive cage. So I just tell myself forget about it, I can live with fans. However it is summer time now and my room gets very very hot, especially when you're two video cards are giving off heat, and my case feels like an oven when its on full load.

Basically, my problem is that I can't stand the heat. I have never modded a case before, some have suggest me to cut the top of my case, so I can add 2-3 fans on it and buy a dual or triple radiator. That sounds good, but the problem is that I've never mod a case before and I don't want to destroy such a nice case. I have also been looking at the Koolance Exos II, but many people are saying that it is not worth the price, because a customize water cooling rig can outpeform it. So does anybody have any advice?

What is you simply find that special place to put two holes in your case and run the tube out from the waterblock. Some use that PCI slot connector.
Put all the stuff in the old desk drawer or in a box or whatever externally.
Make a home made Exxos

ambient can climb

sunrunner20 said:

If you consider a high performance system can produce 400w of heat [CPU and video card] just consider 4 100w light bulbs all around you by the PC and table/desk. The heat is not immediately sensible to you but it is still there. So, like if the AC or furnace is not moving the house air around a lot the area will absorb the system heat.

Last edited:
I am first wondering why it gets so hot in your room? Does the house A/C not cut it or something? (maybe you live in the desert SW or something) If heat is a real issue in your room, you either figure out a way to reduce the heat in your room via A/C or fans or something, or find a way to exhaust the heat from the watercooling into another air space. Maybe a chiller would even work. Maybe you could put a cheap window air unit in your room if you need to.

Watercooling under perfect circumstances is not going to go below ambient by itself, so if your room is cooking, your computer will have higher temps also.

Of course, you could also just add a vaporizer to the room and use it as a sauna :)

pplapeu said:

If you consider a high performance system can produce 400w of heat [CPU and video card] just consider 4 100w light bulbs all around you by the PC and table/desk. The heat is not immediately sensible to you but it is still there. So, like if the AC or furnace is not moving the house air around a lot the area will absorb the system heat.

What I said is the fact that watercooling doesn't cause the system to produce any more heat, it just moves the heat the system produces away from the source more effectivly. No matter what, if your CPU puts out 100W of heat, it goes somewhere. It does not matter if you cool it with air or water the heat has to go somewhere. Also note that for conversion 100W of heat is a little under .10BTU/sec (like 0.095) Don't know the calculations for raising room temp per xbtu but I know my room is noticably hotter than the hall and I have a direct feed(both ways, air in and return) from the AC unit. But I have a 100W+ cpu and a 6800U along with a not very effichent CPU.

Back