• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

heatercore and white stuff that I don't know what it is

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

I got one heater core from danger den (dual pass), It smelled when I got, anyways on the fins of the radiator there is some white stuff that smells, plus the same smell came from the inside of the heater core. Probably the something that danger den uses to clean heater cores. I don't really worry about the smell but something happened, when I removed everything few days latter, tubing, blocks, pump, had some white covering that smelled like the radiator when I got it. On blocks the copper part of the block wasn't affected but everything else was covered with that white stuff. Is this a reason to worry or not?

It could be flux left over from when they brazed the barbs on. That shows the core wasn't cleaned thoroughly. Fill the core with vinegar, let it sit for 10 minutes max, and flush it out with water.

And you might want to flush your whole system out to. This is just a lesson to learn that you always clean stuff out good when you get it before installing it. There can be all kinds of junk in a heatercore, even a new one.

meionm said:
I got one heater core from danger den (dual pass), It smelled when I got, anyways on the fins of the radiator there is some white stuff that smells, plus the same smell came from the inside of the heater core. Probably the something that danger den uses to clean heater cores. I don't really worry about the smell but something happened, when I removed everything few days latter, tubing, blocks, pump, had some white covering that smelled like the radiator when I got it. On blocks the copper part of the block wasn't affected but everything else was covered with that white stuff. Is this a reason to worry or not?

Like the solder flux is dry white stuff at the joints. Othrwise it sounds like evil crap to clean off. You could flush with tap water for some time in case the crap is inside too.

I got a drip irrigation water filter on my heater core rig as the cores do look very crappy and dirty and I do not trust them. i do not even trust they are new, the crude way they look. They could be uyse boiled radiator shop junk from wreck for alli Know...I do not trust them as much as the nice new rads that cost big bucks.

I got Noise Isolators for $19.99. that was a great deal. Try Noise Isolators in Google

they look like these

http://www.subzeropcs.com/swiftech_h2o_120_water_cooling_kit.html

Last edited:
Back