• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Intel Stuff: DRMed Or Not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

>HyperlogiK<

While I am not advocating the use of pirate software, it seems that on the previous 2 generations of console, mod chips and loader program quickly became avaliable, that allowed you to run copied disks or unsigned code. Ed mentions that it may be possible to crack in software, but isn't somebody likely to produce hardware modifications. I am aware that when somebody dreams up a modchip for a console, they have at most maybe 10 revisions, all very similar of a propreitary mobo/cpu etc. that they design the thing for, but considering the vast amounts of money made by certain unsavoury individuals (especially in the far east/eastern europe/south america) somebody is sure to want to.

Please call me an idiot if this is off the mark, I have done little reading on Presidio, Palladium et al, so if this is all impossible because the hardware will be directly controlled from Intel HQ by a Terabit neutrino beam or some other uncrackable technology then say.

The code will be cracked. Intel doesn't care either. They are just adding DRM so that after the law requires DRM Intel is already covered. Its kinda like cheap car insurance, just there so you are legal. :)

Piracy is the highest in poor country's....
People buy the cheapest thing they can get other thier too, and VIA is probly going to be a powerfull selling force. Now can someone please tell me what thier version is called? I dont think they have one do they?

Like z0n3 said, its seem to me asewell its like cheap insurance

Please call me an idiot if this is off the mark, I have done little reading on Presidio, Palladium et al, so if this is all impossible because the hardware will be directly controlled from Intel HQ by a Terabit neutrino beam or some other uncrackable technology then say.

hahahahah right neutrino beam, nice try intel

well netrino beam, atomic dust cells, or a team of killer hamsters, I heard that intel china is working on all 3 :)

Intel is a cleint of mine at work,

Upon asking, i was informed that Hardware DRM on 945's and the CPU's is a myth.

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen.

~ Gos

I thought they (Intel) actually came out and told us about this, albeit rather discreetly.

Back