• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need more advice on making blocks + update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Big One

first the update : i found a rad :attn: a big one 60*30*3 CM more or less
not in a perfect condition but it can be fixed, pics in ~24 hour.
it waz found on my way to school , it's even black :santa:

now for my problem now.

i am very close to get me some good toolz.
i need to know one final thing before the make of the blokz.
what size to make them>?
i want them to sit perfectly on:
A64 , NF4 ultra NB , GF6600GT.
what size? 5*5Cm for cpu? 3*3 for NB?

plz hlp

Last edited:
Overall, block size is not relavant. You make the block itself the right size for mounting where-ever it is intended to go. What you really need to focus on is designing the block's method for removing heat. Mainly you need to concentrate on placing the pins, channels, or what ever design style you chose ontop of the chip's core/IHS. Placing restrictive heat removing components has no purpose in areas where there should/will be no heat. So, In short, as big as needed. :cool: I would look up the mounting methods for other blocks that have already been designed for your targets and analyze their methods.

Size will vary with method as well. Pins/fins are used in a larger block with a thick base, mcp6000 series for example, 50mmx50mm with a thick base 5mm I believe?. Microchannel and impingent cooling can be very small with a much thinner base, they need to be only the size of the die and the base can be under 1mm in some models.

here is my latest design for my blocks

what i need to know is
A - base size
B - gap size
C - fin zise
R - radius
for making an CPU,NB, and GPU block
i found a friend with all the tools i need

plz help me and give me the numbers i need

Attachments

• block v2.JPG
    block v2.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 78
You need to decide R and then do some research to find what works for the rest. If R is large it will be more of a "maze" type block if it R is small it will be more of a micro channel block. When I contimplate WB design I always look at the radius thread on procooling, cathar basicaly spells out how to make a microchannel block there. Some searching will reveal base plate thickness as well, I believe bill has done some very nice work on this if you look.

BTW If I were you I would skip all the contemplating and just do a thick based maze block. I dont think you can screw that up and I feel that the performance is just fine from this type of block. Of coarse the tools to do whatever you want are there if you look.

i'm welding it , no screws for me
but my biggets issue is the R , i dont know what R wo i need for NB GPU and CPU
A is gonna be 2mm
b 1mm
C 7-10mm

Back