• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Hey all im thinking about upgrading from 512mb to 1gig of PC3200. Currently I have 2x512 single sided ValueRam. Now if I am correct I either go with 2x512, or 2x1gig, not 2x256 + 2x512 for a total of 1.5 gig.

Also What would you guys say i should get, im running a 2.8E @ 3.0 now so a very very small overclock, and I do lots of gaming, the whole purpose for upgrading. Im looking at Newegg here, Im looking at these Four, keep in mind my wimpy OC.
Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4

Thanks

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents

Just my opinion but if you're mainly gaming you're not going to need more than 1 gig of ram (atleast in my experience.) I would go with option 4. Depends on how much you're willing to spend though :p

Edien said:
Just my opinion but if you're mainly gaming you're not going to need more than 1 gig of ram (atleast in my experience.) I would go with option 4. Depends on how much you're willing to spend though :p
Yea, i was just saying inorder to keep it dual channel i need to either have 512, 1gig, or 2gig. I too like Option 4 but i do not like the price tag.

Has anyone used Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) cause its 2.5CAS and $66 vs the mushkin Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) which is also 2.5CAS but is $83.55. I really have not seen to many people using Patriot. I did a google it seems like Patriot is good stuff, but if anyone here is using it feel free to chime in.

Archer36 said:
Has anyone used Patriot Signature Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) cause its 2.5CAS and $66 vs the mushkin Value 1GB (2 x 512MB) which is also 2.5CAS but is $83.55. I really have not seen to many people using Patriot. I did a google it seems like Patriot is good stuff, but if anyone here is using it feel free to chime in.

If you don't get any responses, I'd look around the net to find some reviews. I looked at all the reviews I could find before I bought my Corsair XMS to make sure I was getting good memory.

If you've read some reviews from reliable sources (THG, anandtech etc) and they say it performs well, and it will give you timings that you want, I say go for it.

Edien said:
If you've read some reviews from reliable sources (THG, anandtech etc) and they say it performs well, and it will give you timings that you want, I say go for it.
Yep i just ordered it a few minutes ago.

Back