• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Additive Recommendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Antifreeze to prevent corrosion.

Use a biocode/algaecide (i.e. iodine or waterbed additive) to keep out the creepies.

Thats just from what I've read here, do a search on it and there will be many more things people have recommended I'm sure.

if you have a copper block, and a brass/bronze/copper radiator, you don't need any of that stuff, especially if the system is closed, Just run straight distilled water, and you'll have no problems

If you run straight distilled water, you will have growth. Period. Since I have a waterbed, I use waterbed algaecide (just a few drops and you can get it at Walmart cheap). Plus 10-15% antifreeze (blue VW-love it!)

Now waterbed additive will take care of algae growth, so would that still leave possibility for some sort of bacteria? I'm speculating then that the mixture to cover all bases (corrosion/bacteria/algae) would be 10-15% antifreeze (corrosion inhibitor), few drops of waterbed additive (algaecide), and something like iodine (bacteriocide). I'm thinking instead of iodine I'll get an erythromyocine tablet and empty it in there.

dont use antibiotics, do you know if your fighting gram positive or negitive and do you even know if that particular antibiotic fights one or the other or both. the problem with antibiotics is that the bad stuff gets used too this stuff because of widespread use. Thats why you need a docter too obtain the stuff and they say take all till its gone.

the rest of the guys and gals are rite 10% antifreeze and a few drops of algeacide is all you need, heck im game with just 10% antifreeze most algea wont grow without light anyway or with antifreeze.

Acurax said:
Now waterbed additive will take care of algae growth, so would that still leave possibility for some sort of bacteria? I'm speculating then that the mixture to cover all bases (corrosion/bacteria/algae) would be 10-15% antifreeze (corrosion inhibitor), few drops of waterbed additive (algaecide), and something like iodine (bacteriocide). I'm thinking instead of iodine I'll get an erythromyocine tablet and empty it in there.
Iodine will kill everything execpt maby a virus, but what is a virus going to do in a fluid with no cells to reprogram? Btw, thats how viri reproduce, reprogramming a cell, if the cell is dead it can't reproduce.

Thanks for clearin that up guys. Erythromycin is commonly used for fish/aquariums and will fight broad varieties of gram positive (more than penicillin) and limited strains of gram negative. Anyway, your right, no idea what I'd be dealing with in there and dont have the equipment to do a gram stain. I've just seen it suggested for use a couple times before in WC loops, and I could get a bit fairly easy from my friend's dad (veterinarian).

Sunrunner, nice point with iodine and viruses also.

Wal-Mart sucks

:bang head checked out wal-mart for the algaecide for waterbeds.. and was told they don't carry it anymore.. *sigh*

You must have a lousy wal-mart. I haven't seen one yet that doesn't carry it. i do know that they carry for sure other biocides in the fish aquarium department. that will do the same thing.

on my old intel rig i used i would say 90% distilled water and 10% antifreeze i also added about 30drops of antialgae stuff too to help with the antifreeze, and i also added about 5 - 10drops of UV green dye

yeah i have bottle of hydrX for my soon to be swifty kit.. but it's rather get a UV blue color to match my case theme

Silverbreez said:
yeah i have bottle of hydrX for my soon to be swifty kit.. but it's rather get a UV blue color to match my case theme

I must agree, im getting kinda tired of the played out green uv color.

i beg to differ on the algeacide issue, i've run the water in my loop for about 6mon-1yr at a time between refills, and every time i empty, the block is clean, my resivoir is clean, and the pipe is the same color that it has always been. if you are really concerened about growth, just put a few drops of iodine in, as has been suggested, you don't need antifreeze, unless your mixing coper/bronze/brass and aluminum or steel, but you probably arent.

reading the stickies taught me that distilled water only is the best possible fluid to use, no additives at all, unless you absolutely need them. I'd say fill it up, run it, see if you have problems, if not don't change, if you do, then make the changes.

Back