• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which value ram would be better for low-mid voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoSilencer

I'm setting up a new system and I'm not sure which ram to get. Both are rated at 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.6v and both are the same price. The timings below are from the Anandtech value ram comparison.

OCZ4001024PDC-K --- OCZ Premier (2x512MB) DDR400
240mhz at 2.5-3-3-6 1T using 2.9v

OCZ4001024WV3DC-K --- OCZ Value Series (2 x 512MB) DDR400
245mhz at 2-2-2-6 1T using 3.3v

I'm planning on a Retail AMD 64 3000+ Venice core and a Chaintech VNF4/Ultra. I know this isn't the ideal setup for overclocking but they fit my budget and my needs so it's a good combo for me. Overclocking will simply be a bonus and whether its 50mhz or 500mhz I'll be happy with it. I don't want the ram to be the limiting factor though.

The Premier seems like it should be fine, but the Value seems like it has a lot more potential (2-2-2-5 or even better) IF you can supply it enough voltage OR IF you get really lucky. I'm not sure which would be a better/safer bet though. The Chaintech VNF4/Ultra can only supply 2.9v to the memory so I'm worried that if I get the Value ram for the potential of better performance that I might get unlucky and end up with something that can't even match the Premier speeds and timings. What do you guys think? Do you think the Value series at 2.9v would be able to at least match the 2.5-3-3-6 timing at 240mhz of the Premier ram?

I was also looking at those two sticks. I plan on getting the 2nd one as of now, because the Premier you want (the one with copper heatspreaders) is not being carried or is out of stock almost everywhere I look, and for 5 bucks its not worth it for me to sign up at Monarch (only place that seems to have it) just for some Heat spreaders.

I have premier series in my rig and it wont do 240Mhz - it barely reaches 220Mhz @ 1T. I havent tried it @ 2T yet but i hope it does better.

Back