• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to go water cooling but can it travel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-=Ambush=-

So here's my predicament. If I get All A's or maybe even all A's and one B+ this summer my parents are going ot let me build nice expensive new system (although the A's arn't coming easy, biochem, bio, bio lab, and orgo. chem lab, ick!).

I'll probably order an build the rig inbetween summer and fall semesters when there is a week break at the beginning of august. This is good since I'll be at hope and my dad has an hell of a lot of tools so I can pretty much mod what ever I want to mod for a week straight.

So here's my question. If I go watercooling (which I really want to since I'll probably get an FX-55 since they'll be cheaper by then) will I be able to build my system at home and transport my computer the 120miles back to college? I there any danger of spills, esp if I go t-line? Just need to know how well/if a water cooling rig will transport.

Jut to be safe you should drain it and then put back in the fluid when you get to school. It would be a shame to ruin such an expensive cpu by being lazy and not taking the time to drain and then refill it.

as long as your tline or fill ports are properly closed, and will not come lose / leak. and your system doesnt leak then yes, its very portable. Sometimes even more so than air cooling because the weight is distributed more evenly.

Instead of putting all that weight on the processor motherboard with a huge heatsink, the weight is in the radiator and pump, which would be securely mouted.

So, as long as everything is mounted ( no loose parts that could rattle / damage other parts), and your loop is sealed its easy to transport.

I have a large watercooling rig here in Seattle, and I transport it back and forth between Seattle and Spokane...about 300 miles or so. It's a bit of a pain...you basically have to take the watercooling out or take the components out to travel.
Jut to be safe you should drain it and then put back in the fluid when you get to school. It would be a shame to ruin such an expensive cpu by being lazy and not taking the time to drain and then refill it.
That's not going to cut it. A heavy waterblock can rip a nice chunk out of the motherboard, break the graphics card off in the slot, etc. You really need to dismantle it to be safe.

For the most part a computer system will transport nicely, if you have the case secured in place, even if its in the floorboard between the driver's seat and the backseat. Assuming that you pressure tested all of the tubes before you added in the components and the fittings are snug there should be no problem in it leaking. However, if you are really worried about it, I would take the advice of Krash and drain your cooling tanks before you leave and then just refill.

If you do a decent job of setting it up it will be fine. Use worm-drive hose clamps. I took my WC system 450 miles to college and back 2 or 3 times without any issues.

As long as the case isn't being tossed around, shouldnt be a problem.

Cool, so it looks like as long as I secure it, it'll be fine.

Looks like I'm going water in a few months! yay!

Just another quick question, what tools (if any) do I need to have for simple matience of a water cooled system? Just a screwdriver or two to loosen/tighten clamps and take off block and what not.

Any thing else?

And while I'm at it, how much matience does a water cooling require anyway over say air?

Yeah, you'll need a screwdriver and opposable thumbs. Not being stupid is a plus. Grab some plumber's tape or silicon sealant if you're going to be attaching threaded fittings.

Water cooling systems require more maintainence than air, though mine might be an exception. People refill their systems anywhere from every two months to once a year. I've had a problem or two with very slow leaks that cause my water level to drop, but that shouldn't be an issue if you're not me. *sigh*

I dont take my comp long distances, but every 2 saturdays... I take it up to LAN parties. I never have noticed an issue. I trust my metal hose clamps.

Never traveled with mine but as far as a leak would go i would not be concerned.. i have metal hose clamps on all my connections

The farthest i've traveled with mine is about 10", and that's no easy task.

Back