• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Air Conditioning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
PC Air Conditioning

I for one am interested to see where this goes. I'm one of many that hasn't jumped on the phaze/water cooling methods and still remain faithful to air cooling. I've seen several experiments regarding air conditioning (let me remind you of the few that tried to build a computer inside a refrigerator) and I'm wondering how they will overcome the condensation problem? Is this something innovative or just more "hot air?"

I hooked up a AC duct to a case so cold air was flowing on top of the processor fan and got a 10 degrees drop in temp.

As Ed said, its not a terribly practical idea. Inefficient, expensive and bulky potentially. TEC's are especially inefficient, even as a direct-die solution. For a TEC to cool that volume of air (even in that duct) would draw a ridiculous amount of power and give you very little in return.

There won't be any condensation since the ambient temperature itself is reduced.

Every now and then, I like to put an airconditioner right next to my case for some suicide runs, and it usually gets me very little in terms of a real overclock; 50MHz at most. Same concept as the Vapochill Case Cooler. The difference here is that this uses a compressor for active heat removal, a lot more effecient and effective than a TEC. But also a lot bigger and pricier, and still inferior to pretty much anything direct-die.

yeah I'm waiting to see a review of the Vapochill micro..... that seems interesting also. Kinda sad it's be delayed until sometime this month. Hopefully soon.

The basis of this air cooling seems a little impractical, as it assumes you'll still be using air. This is marketed to the extreme overclock/high voltage/high temp types; these people don't use air. People are more likely to switch to water, which doesn't overload like a heatsink does with very high heat absorption. Air conditioning the radiator, maybe, but...

Water cooling the cpu/gpu is the best bang-for-the-buck for oc'ing. Good air flow for the case should be ok for everything else. (unless you live in a mud hut on the equater :) )
imho

i went back to air oafter H2O for a while and regret it....silence is bliss...i don't see a whole lot of point in this "pc air conditioning"...but to each his own...

Seems like it would be way too inefficient to consider. If you were going to drop that much money into cooling your system, you might as well just go for a water or other setup.

Back