• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lukek

Registered
I have a DFI Ultra D motherboard and a XP-120 heatsink. Now my question is, should I place my memory 512 x 2 in the first and second slot or any other slots? The reason I ask, is the heatsink will or might sit close or even wont let the memory to be present. Does it matter which slot?

Luke

Set your heatsink on the CPU then try to get the ram in 1st slots. If you can get them in and out with the heatsink there, then put some paste on it and screw it down good. Otherwise just use the 2nd slots.

Is it TCCD or UTT, because that should determine the slots the go into, TCCD does better in the orange slots and UTT does better in the yellow slots.

usually the orange slots are better, but depends on the type of RAM you have.

and i cant imagine a xp120 on that board...the XP90 looks big enough on mine! =)

DFI recommends the orange slots, but that may have had more to do with the A64's original memory controller, and if you have a Venice or SD it might not matter.

There are reports of UTT frying in slot 2 (orange one farthest from CPU) when the RAM is powered by the 5v rail, but at this point it's hard to tell if this is a design flaw, a quality control issue with the board, or a quality control issue with the RAM chips. However, the DFI employees on the DFI-street.com forum don't exactly inspire confidence in the motherboard or their company when they quote this bit from the manual:

Attention:
The DRAM voltage as originally supported by the spec is up to
2.85V only. Jumper JP17 allows you to select beyond the
defined spec. Although this function is supported, selecting a
higher voltage may cause unstable current supplied to the
system board which may subsequently cause damage to the
CPU and DIMMs.

I have XP-120 and it fits just fine on the board, just make sure you point the heat pipes towards vid card and place your RAM in orange slots.

ryufreak said:
Remember if you're running dual channel, you have to set the ram on the same color
Not on my MSI Neo2. Purple + Blue = 6400 MB/s. Purple + Purple = 3200 MB/s

Lukek's got the DFI, and using same color slots gets you one stick in each channel. It would be less confusing if all the maufacturers did that the same, though, woudln't it?

Back