• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory for Dothan rig...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Highlander

Need a gig of decent memory for the new Dothan rig. Now the 730's in the fsb can be pushed above 200. Current stuff is poor, maxing ~ 215 which is no use.
Are there still issues with TCCD on intel systems? or are these reduced with Dothan running?
Have some CH5 which should be good for 240-250, so low latency is covered, need some decent mem to run 1:1 to find the max of this cpu.
Have seen a gig of Adata viesta PC4000 for 85 quid, which seems a reasonable buy, how will this suit the dothan?
Very limted budget on this atm, unless the placement goes ahead its looking to be as close to 100 quid as possible. Not ideal for overclocking memory, so can stretch a bit further if required :)

Cheers guys :D

charlie over at XS is running TCCD at 273 (cooling other than air) or so with his Dothan setup so I think TCCD is a viable option, at least with extreme cooling.

Good BH5 also seems to work well, but not UTT from what I hear. If you are running air, then it would appear that your CH-5 should be able to handle all that your 730 chip (with 12 multi) is capable of hitting, as most top out around 2.4-2.6GHz, with a few breaking 2.7GHz. At 200 fsb you've hit 2.4 and I would thing that anything the chip is capable of hitting on air should be within the reach of your CH-5 based ram.

Thanks :D Will try this TCCD later and see how well it runs.
CPU is a gem, 2.57ghz atm on 1.4v, (1.37 under load :S) so hoping for some good things from it :D
How well does ballistix run on Intel? It seems quite cheap, under-rated memory..

Ballistix and the description "quite cheap" are seldom seen together, except for a lone seller on the Internet that sells it for about $55 for a 512MB stick of PC4000. Newegg and other sell it for about $85 - $95 for the same thing, which by today's prices, is high in my mind.

My understanding is that it performs good, with the PC4000 maybe being a little better, especially up to the 250 or so range which would cover all that you would need for the Dothan.

I'm expecting my Dothan (730) today, or Monday at the latest and I have a 2x256 set of Ballistix that I'm going to try, in addition to a couple of 2x256 sets of TCCD and some BH-5/BH-6 until I find the ones that are just right.

I'm getting all excited about the prospects of playing with this setup. Dothan is sort of a niche thing, although on a good S478 board like the P4C800-E it will do pretty good for all around use. Its just a toy for me.

Good luck with your TCCD and post your results for the rest of us. If you haven't done so already, check out the Dothan thread int he Intel CPU section. Full of good info.

Reefa, what is the max voltage that you can put through tccd on a 24/7 rig? I've also been playing with the Dothan and was able to get the memory up to 185 with 2.5-3-3 timings using 2.85v. The Dothan gave out around 185 so I couldn't test these sticks at higher speeds.

Right after 2 days of testing, back armed with some results!
CPU maxes at 2.57ghz no matter what which is a bummer. However the TCCD runs quite nicely, up to 257-260 stable which is similar to its performance in the MSI/A64 rig. 2.5,3,3,5 with PAT enabled, seems to be running nicely.
Grabbed 2 256mb sticks of BH5 (good to 270+ on MSI neo2) and a new booster, as me old one is shafted. Should be here tomorrow, so will post back with results again.
Gig of PC4000 ballistix in the uk is ~ 130GBP direct from crucial, which would hopefully suit the ~250 fsb mark quite nicely, that or some second hand TCCD....

These chips are great fun to play with, had a HUGE grin all day on Thursday when the 730 arrived.
28secs pi 1m, 40mb /60 secs winrar compression and 27.3k 01 on an untweaked XP sp2 install and 9800pro. All in all a little powerhouse, beats the A64 by some way, in those tests at least. Not quite as smooth in windows as the A64 tho...

All in all, a nice A64 setup is probably better for all around use. The Dothan seems to shine is SuperPi, 3DMark01 and gaming in general. I don't game, so I'll have to settle for 2 out of 3. :)

As I mentioned earlier, this will not be my main rig, just a toy, so I'm content with playing up its strengths and overlooking its weaknesses.

datura3,
With respect to the TCCD question, this is a quirky IC when it comes to voltages. You cannot count on it scaling the way Winbond does, for example. And it is not consistent from one group of ICs to another. Some will respond up to about 2.7v-2.9v then become unstable with more voltages, some will do the same, but skip the 2.9-3.1 range or so, then improve beyond that. Some have even been known to perform better at higher speeds when the voltage is reduced! All I can tell you is to try your sticks out with various voltage levels and see what happens. Once stable, I would think that it would be fine running 24/7 at anything under 3.2, just provide add'l cooling if the modules get hot or your giving them over 3.1-3.2 or so.

Again, TCCD is picky when it comes to voltages. No other way that I can describe it.

Jimbob7 said:
TwinMOS Speed Premium PC3500 512MB CL2.5
Winbond BH-5, 32*8/16chip, 433mhz, 184-P

Very cheap.
My AI7 has 3.2Vdimm and I only run my 2.8c MO step around 240Fsb so with some bh5 and a little burn in i think 2-2-2-5 is possible?.What do you think?

Are you guys both talking about the same bh5?

The TwinMOS SP are using the new UTT bh die ram which TwinMOS, on their own, labels as bh5. It is not original Winbond bh5. The main difference is, that as a rule, the UTT bh stuff works much better on A64s than on Intel rigs. Original Winbond, except for a few rare occurrances, works quite well with Intel.

In the right platform, 240 at 2-2-2-x with 3.2v is within a reasonable range for both new and original bh5. While not all will do it, many do.

Reefa_Madness said:
Are you guys both talking about the same bh5?

The TwinMOS SP are using the new UTT bh die ram which TwinMOS, on their own, labels as bh5. It is not original Winbond bh5. The main difference is, that as a rule, the UTT bh stuff works much better on A64s than on Intel rigs. Original Winbond, except for a few rare occurrances, works quite well with Intel.

In the right platform, 240 at 2-2-2-x with 3.2v is within a reasonable range for both new and original bh5. While not all will do it, many do.

Cool Beans. ...lol What do you think about Geil or Mushkins or OCZ'z winbond chips and Gskill?Did you know Gskill has BH5 now
http://www.gskill.com/press 20050411.html

Last edited:
G.Skill, TwinMOS, OCZ are all using UTT BH die that I know of, probably others as well. The list for UTT CH die is way longer. Other than Kingston and maybe Corsair, I can't think of anyone not using CH die in some product or another. Kingston did use it for a while, just not as a "high performance" part, only in their KVR but appears to have dropped it now. In fact, an XS member sent me a copy of an email sent to him from Kingston where they claimed to not ever have used it. He had 4 or 5 sets of it in his possession at the time he received the email. I know that fellow OCF member Diablo23RD had some as well and he posted pics and results in one of the early UTT threads. Everyone is using UTT is some form or another.

Its cheap, its fast and its what everyone wants.

Reefa, thanks for your answer. I can always count on you to provide intelligent answers to questions :beer:

Moved over to a P4C800 due to PAT issues with the P4P (long story, but involved hot flashing a bios chip and destroying a bios saviour :S)
2*256mb Twinmos BH5 runs 250 2,2,2,5 without a problem, what sort of mem BW should there be at that? Only getting 5.7ghz (ish) which seems a little low... Its not given a huge boost over a gig of TCCD at the same fsb tbh. Would have though tighter timings would have affected performance more..

Yeah, that's about what I got. Somewhere around 5.6-5.7k at about 245mhz mem. The Sandra mem bandwidth isn't really useful for anything other than telling you how fast your memory is running.

ok thats kinda of a relief.
Any idea on the pi-time though? Know its only a synthetic test, but no speed boost from running 2,2,2,5 as opposed to 2.5,3,3,7 seems a little strange tbh.... Or is it that superpi works better with a gig, and the 512 is negating any gain?

What pi times did you get? It should be helping out tons there. In 1M the amount of memory doesn't matter very much.

28.3secs @ 253*10, had a 28.1sec run with the TCCD at a very similar speed. Numbers just dont add up...
3dmark seems down a little too.
Supposdly booting above 200 fsb (to sort the PCI/AGP lock) causues CPC off to be run on the P4C800, is there anyway to re-enable this at all? Supposdly it can be done via software, but cant find anything that seems to point as to what needs to be done!

Here are some interesting SiSoft Sandra results. I was quite suprised that changing the multi, changed the performance of the RAM.
sisoftmulti.jpg

Ah, interesting results, nice find... Will have a shot later and run the same tests here, see if it makes a difference similar to what you've found :)

Back