• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single stick vs dual channel kit for 1 gig of ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zer0nix

^topic

i'm looking to overclock and i want at least a gig of ram and i'm wondering if i should go with a dual channel kit or get a single stick and maybe 'dual' it at a later date if need be... what do y'all think i should do?

EDIT: this is for a s939 venice 3000 or 3200

Last edited:
well that all depends on what paltform your getting, intel, amd, DDR, DDR2 what generation of processor it is, ie AXP or A64. Provide this information and then i can help you.

If you mean 2x512MB vs. 1x1GB then 2x512MB is better for overclocking in every case I think.

2x512 MB for sure. You can always buy another 2x512MB later and have 2 GB of ram if you really think you need it.

Scott9027 said:
If you mean 2x512MB vs. 1x1GB then 2x512MB is better for overclocking in every case I think.

that's what i had heard and i was wondering exactly why that is...

Because the dual channel gives you twice the bandwidth. And because the low-density chips on the 512MB modules will give you tighter timings and will OC higher. The manufacturer may list the same frequency and timings for 1GB and 512MB, but the larger sticks will have a lot less headroom than their half gig brothers.

Back