• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WARRENTY info on my ocz stix,they run great its for my knowledge.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
as title says the sticks are just fine but this is for my own personal knowledge.
of course i could just pm or email them but why have them spend so much time informing me when it may help others too?

anyhow heres my questions. i own the 2x512 value VX sticks btw.OCZ4001024WV3DC-K
1.i put heatspreaders on it for protection.during test fitting i did use the thermal tape and it stuck to the ocz warrenty stickers and when i peeled the spreaders off the stickers came off.
warrenty voided due to that?i saved them just in case ill be lucky.
dont worry folks my spreaders are setup now for some serious temps testing so dont worry about it just look for my testing thread next week.

2. what voltage if i exceed it voids the warrenty on these sticks and yeh i relise that varies from stick to stick as thats what im asking.

Don't know about 1, but for 2, their website has 2.6v. I'm guessing this ram doesnt have the extended voltage protection thingy.

kayson said:
Don't know about 1, but for 2, their website has 2.6v. I'm guessing this ram doesnt have the extended voltage protection thingy.
thats why i was asking as it seems really low for a stick that is usually run 3.6v sometimes.
i found the same as you at the site as i checked first also.

fldrice said:
I believed they are warranteed to 2.8v +5%. However, Winbond ICs are rated to operate @ 3.6v.
ive heard that on the vx4000 but not these,which are the same sticks just untested.
but yeh they are the utt winbond bh5 ic's

looks like im gonna have to send em a pm and point em at the thread.
not thier fault as they cant be mind readers or be everywhere i post a thread huh? lol

i believe since its "value" ram its not warranted for higher voltage than default. only the Voltage extreme ones are warranted to 3.5 + 5% which is pretty stupid since they're bassically the same stuff.

about 1, cant u just peel the sticker off the heatspreader and stick it back on there?

It doesn't seem stupid to me that they aren't warranted for the high voltage. You get what you pay for and that includes a warranty on high voltages. That is part of the chance you take with the Value VX. I wouldn't worry about the stickers much because if you really plan to overclock them then you are going to have to void your warranty anyway.

deathstar13 said:
ive heard that on the vx4000 but not these,which are the same sticks just untested.
but yeh they are the utt winbond bh5 ic's

not thier fault as they cant be mind readers or be everywhere i post a thread huh? lol
FIY they are not manufactured with BH-5. Instead the VX and Value VX use Winbond CH UTT.

fldrice said:
FIY they are not manufactured with BH-5. Instead the VX and Value VX use Winbond CH UTT.

Incorrect.

Here is what is used:

OCZ400512ELGEVX / OCZ4001024ELDCGEVX-K / OCZ500512ELGEVX / OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K - Winbond CH UTT

OCZ400512ELGE / OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K / OCZ400512WV3 / OCZ4001024WV3DC-K - Winbond BH UTT

deathstar13 said:
If you get a reply via PM, please let us know what they say.

Given all the reports of this type of RAM mysteriously failing, I'd be hesitant to buy if the warranty doesn't cover the rated voltage for the chips.

It seems sensible to remove that sticker when instaling any kind of sink, block, or spreader. If all that matters is that you have the sticker and haven't tampered with the RAM, that would be good to know.

OverclockedMan said:
Incorrect.

Here is what is used:

OCZ400512ELGEVX / OCZ4001024ELDCGEVX-K / OCZ500512ELGEVX / OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K - Winbond CH UTT

OCZ400512ELGE / OCZ4001024ELDCGE-K / OCZ400512WV3 / OCZ4001024WV3DC-K - Winbond BH UTT
this is the correct info.

Otter- im sending a pm now as i forgot yesterday. ill post back or have them post it.

You may need not to worry as mine only repond well at 2.8.Anything higher causes errors instead of stabilizing them.On my nf7-s they are running 218 at 7-3-3-2.5.I could do up to 229 at 7-2-2-2 on modded bios but they were actually slower then the timings on the stock bios.They would not even boot at spd timings.All in all, I am very happy with them.

shadowdr said:
You may need not to worry as mine only repond well at 2.8.Anything higher causes errors instead of stabilizing them.On my nf7-s they are running 218 at 7-3-3-2.5.I could do up to 229 at 7-2-2-2 on modded bios but they were actually slower then the timings on the stock bios.They would not even boot at spd timings.All in all, I am very happy with them.

thats not very encouraging words tho.as mine and yours sound like twins.
odd thing is its both sticks doing it not just 1 as ive tested them seperatly.

hopefully its just the nf3 chipset and can be corrected with a switch to nf4.
if i ever decide to sell them they would be a steal as mine run 200 cas 1.5-2-2-4 200 @2.7v

OCZ has awesome customer service, as most of us already know. So I think if you had a problem and contacted them, they would work something out with you. Even though they have rated max voltages for warranty, one of the OCZ guys on XS, I believe it was SteveOCZ said "if you break it, we will fix(replace) it". That being said, if you were honest with them about what you did, they would hook you up!!

ed.howell said:
Even though they have rated max voltages for warranty, one of the OCZ guys on XS, I believe it was SteveOCZ said "if you break it, we will fix(replace) it".
Now that's an amazing statement considering that there have been reports of people trying to clean their computers by hosing out the cabinet with the system running. I'd love to read the original post and put it in context, but my searches haven't found it. Do you have a link?

ed.howell said:
OCZ has awesome customer service, as most of us already know. So I think if you had a problem and contacted them, they would work something out with you. Even though they have rated max voltages for warranty, one of the OCZ guys on XS, I believe it was SteveOCZ said "if you break it, we will fix(replace) it". That being said, if you were honest with them about what you did, they would hook you up!!

If that is true, even for their Value VX RAM, that would definitely sway me to buy it instead of of other stuff.

deathstar13 said:
anyhow heres my questions. i own the 2x512 value VX sticks btw.OCZ4001024WV3DC-K
1.i put heatspreaders on it for protection.during test fitting i did use the thermal tape and it stuck to the ocz warrenty stickers and when i peeled the spreaders off the stickers came off.
warrenty voided due to that?i saved them just in case ill be lucky.
dont worry folks my spreaders are setup now for some serious temps testing so dont worry about it just look for my testing thread next week.

The stickers need to stay on the ram. We have them on all the sticks so we can tell if people have peeled off the heatspreaders. I would assume that because the value VX has no heatspreaders, if you took the sticker off to put heatspreaders on (and kept the sticker) that it wouldn't be a problem with the RMA.

deathstar13 said:
2. what voltage if i exceed it voids the warrenty on these sticks and yeh i relise that varies from stick to stick as thats what im asking.

Value VX is 2.6V stock. We don't have the max voltage listed for these or any other value sticks. When you buy value VX instead of the 3200 or 4000VX you take the risk of buying sticks not tested to 2-2-2 timings with lots of voltage. The value VX sticks use the same BH-UTT or CH-UTT and the same PCB as the other VX and 3200gold, but the warranty isn't exactly the same. I would suggest you not go over 3.2V.

SteveOCZ said:
Value VX is 2.6V stock. We don't have the max voltage listed for these or any other value sticks. When you buy value VX instead of the 3200 or 4000VX you take the risk of buying sticks not tested to 2-2-2 timings with lots of voltage. The value VX sticks use the same BH-UTT or CH-UTT and the same PCB as the other VX and 3200gold, but the warranty isn't exactly the same. I would suggest you not go over 3.2V.

So the Value VX is NOT warranteed over 2.6V? Or is it warranteed up to 3.2V?

Back