• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i go with dual or single heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hung

i was convinced with this forum to eliminate a chipset waterblock because it wasnt gonna do any difference if it was cooled passively, so now i just have a single swiftech 6002 478socket block and a maze 4 gfx block, now...do you guys think that a single 120mm heatercore will do the job? because i want to keep my setup small and simple, the heatercore will have a fan on each side using push and pull (unless someone can tell me thats a bad idea) so itll get the attiquite cooling it requires. what do you guys think?

Go with dual heatercore if your gonna cool the cpu and gpu, a single won't have enough surface area to do a good job on 2 blocks. Push or pull will be fine no need to do both, it won't help your temps but the easiest way to be sure is to try it both ways and go with what works best for you.

i say go dual if u have the space and money. the rad is the biggest deciding factor on temps. blow some nice fans thru it too

i dont plan on oc my gfx card, i have a leadtek fx5900 xt 128mb, now that you guys no what gfx card i got, do you still say a double heatercore?

Id say a single 120mm HC will be sufficient for just a CPU. But think about future expandability, do you plan on ever WCing your video card?

Yeah, I don't think he needs to either, especialy with not OCing it. IF he plans on upgrading it, then going Dual HC now will save trouble in the future, but definitely not needed at this point.

lol i already have the maze 4 gfx block so its better i use it then just leave it sitting around
reasons i want to wc my gfx
1. no noise
2. no noise
3. no noise
lol

crash013 said:
I think not having the GPU block will make cooling of the CPU better.

a little better, but the positives of the WC of the GPU exceeds the maybe 0.5C change

Better to just spend a few extra bucks no on the dually then to buy one later at an extra cost. Besides I've seen several in the classifieds go for aroun $20-$25 bucks. At that price why not go for the better cooling option?

Definitely watercool the GPU if you've already got the block for it. Cut down on that noise. It won't impact your cpu temp by more than a few degrees worst case and probably not that much.

If you don't want the hassle of installing a double fan rad now, get a chevette heatercore for $20, make a tupperware shroud (cheap and effective), and add a good 120x38mm fan. That'll keep the case mods to a minimum and won't cost much to do. You might be surprised at how well a chevette core can cool when properly shrouded. It has 160x160mm core area vs. 120x120mm for the BIX, BIM, etc. That is almost double the core surface area plus it's thicker which can help if you have decent airflow. I'm running an overclocked XP-2500 and an overclocked 9700 Pro using one.

You can always upgrade your rad to a larger one later. Very few enthusiast water systems stay unmodded for long term. Mine is on the 3rd (maybe 4th) revision and I'm pretty happy with the setup, for now.

wrath, check it out. a double heatercore is simply the way to go. u seem like a guy who has a little money to throw around with a nice system. going with a single hc is like getting a slightly inferior product just to save a few bucks. i dont think in your situation there are any netatives to having a dual hc, but there are several negatives to not having one. think about this, if u could have either for free, which would u take? its not 100% more money, so your def getting the better bang for the buck. the rad has the most significant impact on your temps. if u are interested in a quiter computer, and that was a deciding factor in building a wc, then think of this. if u have a rad that is twice the size of one u might have had, u could run 2 or 4 fans on it (depending on if u were to have ran 1 or 2 on the single) and run them on low voltage or even simply get low cfm fans that are quiet, and still get lower temps that if u had 2 fast fans on a single rad. just some random thoughts...

good luck mang

lol actually i have a dual hc and a single hc right now, i was just debating whether id want to drill out the rivets and put in the full hc lol, i just drilled out the rivets and am gonna use the dual hc, the single ill just sell or something, keep it just incase.

but my shroud right now looks kinda funky, i want to get rid of it, cant i just zip tie my 2 120mm fans to the back of the hc?

Attachments

• ASF.JPG
    ASF.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 128
yes, u could. but it could potentially cost u a few degrees. when a fan is running, hold your hand in front of it and feel the air. right in the center where the hub is, u will feel a deadspot. that equates to a small spot on the rad that isnt getting good airflow. that does not mean that the other parts are getting more air cuz that part isnt, it simply doesnt work that way. just do not go without a shroud, just unacceptable.. there are dozens upon dozens of things laying around your house that u can make a simple shroud out of. just takes a little engineering.

lala =)

citronym said:
wrath, check it out. a double heatercore is simply the way to go. u seem like a guy who has a little money to throw around with a nice system. going with a single hc is like getting a slightly inferior product just to save a few bucks. i dont think in your situation there are any netatives to having a dual hc, but there are several negatives to not having one. think about this, if u could have either for free, which would u take? its not 100% more money, so your def getting the better bang for the buck. the rad has the most significant impact on your temps. if u are interested in a quiter computer, and that was a deciding factor in building a wc, then think of this. if u have a rad that is twice the size of one u might have had, u could run 2 or 4 fans on it (depending on if u were to have ran 1 or 2 on the single) and run them on low voltage or even simply get low cfm fans that are quiet, and still get lower temps that if u had 2 fast fans on a single rad. just some random thoughts...

good luck mang

The point of not using a double fan heatercore IS NOT ABOUT SAVING MONEY. They usually require major case surgery to fit one into a normal mid-tower case. For larger cases, the double heatercore can fit in much easier and is probably a good choice for the larger case. Not everyone runs a huge case and for them a double heatercore may not be the best solution especially if they are not concerned with all-out performance.

^^ agreed.

If noise is your main concern, a smaller rad will be just fine. If you have the room, sure bigger is usually better when it comes to rads.

Back