• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel sucks;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
OK, I don't know anything about Intel. I have a P4C800-E with a P4 Northwood 2.4Ghz processor. mPGA-478 package.

So when I open up CPU-Z this is what I see
P4S1.jpg

Is there a way to drop the multi and run faster FSB? CPU-Z says FSB is 133mhz but this is a 533mhz FSB spec chip right?

And the memory Tab
P4S2.jpg

How can I run the memory 1:1 (Does it help at all on Intel?) or at least change the 4/5 divider?

I've cruised the BIOS many times trying to see if there is a way to do these. Btw, I would prefer doing this via the BIOS if I can, I know there is a Clockgen utility.

Unfortunatly, Intel CPUs are locked. There is no way you can change that. Your only option is to push the FSB up :(

So is it even possible to drop the multi via BIOS? That way I could run say 14x200 or something like that. This is PC3200 BH-5 btw.

*EDit

Gotcha Sen, so if the Multi is hopeless then can I at least change the Ram divider?

El<(')>Maxi said:
So is it even possible to drop the multi via BIOS? That way I could run say 14x200 or something like that. This is PC3200 BH-5 btw.

Only if its an ES.

533 CPUs are 133 FSB.

El<(')>Maxi said:
How can I run the memory 1:1 (Does it help at all on Intel?) or at least change the 4/5 divider?

I've cruised the BIOS many times trying to see if there is a way to do these. Btw, I would prefer doing this via the BIOS if I can, I know there is a Clockgen utility.

I haven't used that MB is some time, but there should be an option called NB strap and CPU:FSB or CPU:MEM.

Set both of those to 533 to run 1:1.

It might be different for my Dothan, but under the jumperfree config page, set the ram for 400MHz.

El<(')>Maxi said:

*EDit

Gotcha Sen, so if the Multi is hopeless then can I at least change the Ram divider?
Yea im 100% sure you can. Not sure why it would be locked :X

Under Jumper Free Configuration:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency (Mhz): 150
DRAM Frequency: 333Mhz

Performance Mode: Options are Auto, Standard and Turbo

And thats it as far as the OC options go (except for setting Ram timing manually), as far as I can tell. Anyone know what the external frequency relates to?

Gautam said:
It might be different for my Dothan, but under the jumperfree config page, set the ram for 400MHz.

Hmm, I'm only seeing 266 Mhz, 333Mhz or Auto there :shrug:

Maybe another BIOS?

El<(')>Maxi said:
Under Jumper Free Configuration:

AI Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU External Frequency (Mhz): 150
DRAM Frequency: 333Mhz

Performance Mode: Options are Auto, Standard and Turbo

And thats it as far as the OC options go (except for setting Ram timing manually), as far as I can tell. Anyone know what the external frequency relates to?

Ext Freq = FSB. Don't ask me why. Ask ASUS.

DRAM freq is the RAM. 333 is actually running the RAM faster than the CPU. Try setting it to (800 or 400). That should jump the RAM to 200 FSB.

El<(')>Maxi said:
Hmm, I'm only seeing 266 Mhz, 333Mhz or Auto there :shrug:

Maybe another BIOS?

400 on his MB equates to FSB of 100. FSB x 4 = DRAM.

You have a 533 CPU. DRAM 266 is 1:1. 333 is overclocking it to 4:5 (Note, not 5:4 which is a lower divider)

{PMS}fishy said:
400 on his MB equates to FSB of 100. FSB x 4 = DRAM.

You have a 533 CPU. DRAM 266 is 1:1. 333 is overclocking it to 4:5 (Note, not 5:4 which is a lower divider)
Oh yeah, good point. Wasn't paying attention at all myself, but that is how to mess with the ratios.

So I need a 2/3 divider x 133FSB = 200mhz

So you have 400Mhz BIOS option Gautam? I wonder if that is chip specific or BIOS rev?

El<(')>Maxi said:
So I need a 2/3 divider x 133FSB = 200mhz

So you have 400Mhz BIOS option Gautam? I wonder if that is chip specific or BIOS rev?

Yeah, pretty much.

Not sure if you are going to have that option.

Maybe see if the CPU can do 200 fsb. ;)

Or invest in a 2.4c. I may just know someone who has one ;)

It goes to hell over 141Mhz FSB, Ram @ 170Mhz LOL. I thought this board was the ****z! OK, so it's the Northwood A that's my problem eh Pfishy?

El<(')>Maxi said:
It goes to hell over 141Mhz FSB, Ram @ 170Mhz LOL. I thought this board was the ****z! OK, so it's the Northwood A that's my problem eh Pfishy?

Its a NW B.

The MBs are nice. A/B CPUs not so much.

Take the V-core up to 1.6v on air, 1.65v on water. Maybe more cause they under volt.

D1 and M0 spec 2.4c will do 3ghz on defualt vcore. Lots do 300fsb.

I've been on 1.58v, so I just discovered if I drop the mem divider to 266 it will go to 2.7ghz 18x150. Apparently it doesn't like high memory bus speeds or dividers if the CPU will do 2.7Ghz now.

you have the same problem as i have... accept i have a p4p800e-dlx... theres really no way for u to have a 1:1 devider unless its an 800 bus speed. ur only chance as many peoples suggested before is overclocking the cpu. i have my fsb to 167 mhz which makes my cpu run at 3.01 ghz, also set my ram to a 333 mhz. i went back into windows and open cpuz and check my memory speed. its at 208 mhz (2-3-2-5) whith the only available divider of 4:5. so i guess either overclock or new cpu. :) good luck to you.

Back