• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

kingston value ram users, read this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hung

this might be kinda dumb if you already no it, but i had to rma my memory back to kingston (value ram) and they replaced my 2 sticks of 512mb ddr400, with a single 1gig of ddr400 vr. is this a good thing? not sure, im not sure if its even dual channel, doesnt say, anyways this is good for people who dont want a lota memory sticks in their mobo, as far as 2 sticks vs 1 stick, id rather the 2 sticks :p

You have to have 2 sticks to run duel channel. Did they give you 1gig value ram or did they give you better?

are you serious?! my single gig stick of value ram isnt dual channel? LOL, they still gave me the same vr ram but instead of 2 512s its 1 gig stick

Nope. Need two sticks to be dual channel. That's why it's called dual channel anyway: because of the two sticks. Anyway, I don't know which is better. I prefer having the two sticks although I think dual channel really doesn't mean much for an athlon xp system...

If I were you, I'd tell them about it and they should replace it with 2x512 MB sticks. You paid for 2x512 and that's what you should get. I'd be ****ed if that happened to me even if dual channel doesn't make much of a difference. It's the principle of the matter. Good luck with whatever you do.

thats weird, the gig stick i got (according to kingston) IS dual channel, either kingston is lieing to me or you guys are smarter then kingston LMAO, oh and in case your wondering why i havent put it in my computer and found out if it isnt is because my computer is out of commission waiting for a dual heatercore lol

It says dual-channel because the stick originally came from a dual-channel kit. And I'm not even totally certain that it's a 1024 stick because Kingston usually puts the total memory on the label of the sticks on the dual-channel kits. It may actually just be a 512mb stick, in which case, some idiot messed up and only sent you 1 stick instead of 2.

Well it is entirely possible that it is only 1x512MB stick. In that case, you should be really mad. Give those bozos a piece of your mind.

dl cpuz and see what the h#ll they sent u. if its a gig, then no dual channel for u. if its 512, they couldve screwd up & thought they sent 2 512 stix.. either way, after u find out call or email them..

i bought it from frys and rma'd it back to kingston, but listen...
Q:
"when i rma'd my two sticks of 512mb ddr400 to kingston, i recieved in return a single stick of 1 gig ddr400, and i wanted to no if it was dual channel"

A:
"yes, the stick of 1 gigabyte that we sent you is dual channel"

Q:
"and i dont need another stick of 1 gig to run dual channel right?"

A:
"right"

so its IMPOSSIBLE that i have a gig stick of dual channel infront of me?
gotta find a spare computer fast! LOL

If it is a single 1x1 gig stick, i'd rather have that anyway... dual channel is a marketing ploy anyway. The gain is so minimal i see it as nothing more than marketing. But hey, maybe thats just me.

But if they told you that a single chip is dual channel, their morons.

argh!
im gonna bo balistik!..to be exact...BALLISTIX MEMORY! lol

They screwed you.I would have them cross ship me a set.Dont let them tell you they can't do that its thier mistake and they need to fix it.
No a 1 gig stick can't run DC by itself.I know i will never buy Kingston if the people there dont even no what dual channel is.
And Dual channel isnt a bunch of hype .Ok the gain's aren't mind boggling but any gain is a + .So why loose that edge because of there mistake.

Oh and that Ballistix ram looks great.I would get the PC3200 Ballastix because it runs just as high as the PC4000 .They Both top out around 255 FSB.Only real differnce is PC4000 is guaranteed to run 250 fsb and the chips are hand picked but they run the same chip's

Last edited:
And Dual channel isnt a bunch of hype
Thats your opinion, mine is that it's a marketing ploy. The gains are so minimal that i cant see filling all your slots for such a minimal gain.

Dual channel provides a very small performance gain. It's not noticeable except in benchmarks.

The 1 GB stick is probably worth more than 2 x 512mb sticks, but if that's what you sent back, that's what you should get. Kingston is usually very good about RMA's (they paid for me to 2nd day the defective ram to them, and then next day aired me the new set).

U think one a 1 GB stick is faster than 2x512mb in dual channel?But your right about the gains be minimal But If i had a single channel setup then i wouldnt care but if i have a dual channel setup i want the extra edge even if its small

Last edited:
will do

ok when i call kingston on monday, and tell them that the stick they gave me isnt dual channel, and they ask who told me that, ill have your guys' posts to back me up.
lol

For real use it and any other web pages you can find to prove your point.If you have to.Fact is you need two sticks to run dual channel.Tell them that you'll except a nother 1 gig stick for there stupidness.And maybe you will buy from them again

Back