• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I overdo it with this pump?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

icesaber

I just picked up a mag-drive submersible from the local lowe's... it's 675GPH at 1 foot head, and is rated up to 12.5 feet... it's supposed to be for a water garden waterfall. I just remember that people have rated the TDX as good with a 300+GPH pump, and that head can be more important than volumetric flow...

the system I'll be running with is a DD TDX and a DD maze2 chipset block. it's using a custom evap tower (about 5 1/2 feet tall) and 1/2" id tubing. all of these are kind of restrictive... there will be around 15-20 feet of extra tubing between the tower and the cooler, since I don't have room at my desk for the cooler... besides, I picked up some nice threaded steel-reinforced gas lines on clearance where I work just for the job.

think I overdid it with the pump? is it too big or just right? let me know...

if its too much you'll know when you spring a leak b/c of the pressure.

and also some people will say that running long amounts of tubing will also hinder the peformance of the cooling system, so much sometimes that people vote for internal setups more than external setups.

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you underdid it with the pump, not overdid it. 15 foot of tubing plus blocks plus 5 1/2' evap tower is a lot to pump through. Sounds more like an Iwaki high pressure job to me.

Even if the pump can handle the setup the heat it inputs into the loop would hurt your temps. I would consider returning it going with one of the 12v pumps like the Swiftech 655.

A 12v pump is not going to cut it for something like that. You really need to go with with a high pressure iwaki to get good preformance.

Voigts is right - that pump won't be up to that job. I would recommend looking around and getting something more powerful. If you can afford it, get an Iwaki RLT or RLZT for the extra head. The classifieds are a good place for something like that too.

I wouldn't worry too much in your setup about extra heat added to the loop, as long as you're not using a high flow/low head pump. A normal 12v watercooling pump isn't going to cut it either.

isnt he talking about a mag-7? Then yeah anything past a mag3-5 gives the around same flow in our type of setups but the higher model you go the more heat you get. Forgot who said that but it made sense at the time :D

He said it was a submersible...not an inline. Mag 7 is inline. I don't think they sell Danners at Lowe's either.

johan851 said:
He said it was a submersible...not an inline. Mag 7 is inline. I don't think they sell Danners at Lowe's either.

Pretty sure all danner mags are submersible... Thats why they are still in service and people dont complain. Need to find my box but don't they come with a foam filter screw on thing for submersed operation?

edit-----

yeah

http://shop.petsmart.com/product/2534374302030071/2534374302030071/845524441776826.htm

"Models 2, 3, 5, 7 and 12 are fully submersible and do have in line capability"

Cathar said:
To the OP - your chosen pump will be fine for your application.

thanks cathar. it almost sounds like the other guys here think I want an extremely high-end system (no offense to those ;) )... I just want something that will work, and cool better than air. I decided that I'm going to take off about 12 feet of the distance between tower and stack, that should help some (if it would even need it). the gas lines I got are actually 6-foot segments, four of them. I was going to nipple them together in the middle for easy disconnection and moving of my rig if necessary, but it would be just as easy to unscrew them at the evap. plus, reduces the loss due to distance (? better terminology?).

we'll see how well it works once I get it all up and running. maybe a few more days? don't know yet.

Mitch out.

Cathar said:
To the OP - your chosen pump will be fine for your application.

Wonder who would disagree with this comment?....

I love seeing the mods that go against the odds and not some "tried and true" they do all the work for you "custom" builds, so I am wishing you all the luck with your evap tower. I really wish you would post some pics for this thread, even if nothing is build I enjoy seeing pics of even parts lying around that will be included in the build.

Good luck to you again,
Bryan D.

PS- did I mention to post some PICS?!

I'm running a high flow Laing in my watercooled rig (hence the $400 price tag). I've tested it through 20 feet of tubing, 10 feet going up, and it still has pretty good pressure. So yeah your pump will be fine.

I'd think the pump would be fine too.
An evap tower can shrug off alot of heat load, and thrives on high flow. Your tubing, block and showerhead will slow the water up considerably, as will the loss of the siphon effect found in a closed loop system...not to mention just pushing the water through 1/2" tubing from a pump fitting that size.
I did a similar setup with a mag2 and got the water just below room temp. Yours should do better.

Make sure you remove/drill through the flow restrictor in the showerhead, most are less than a 1/4" ID (ick). The ones with a brass washer type restrictor is easiest as it's removable and leaves a larger diameter passage behind with minimal work.

Post small pics, so we all can enjoy it ;)

icesaber said:
I just picked up a mag-drive submersible from the local lowe's... it's 675GPH at 1 foot head, and is rated up to 12.5 feet... it's supposed to be for a water garden waterfall. I just remember that people have rated the TDX as good with a 300+GPH pump, and that head can be more important than volumetric flow...

the system I'll be running with is a DD TDX and a DD maze2 chipset block. it's using a custom evap tower (about 5 1/2 feet tall) and 1/2" id tubing. all of these are kind of restrictive... there will be around 15-20 feet of extra tubing between the tower and the cooler, since I don't have room at my desk for the cooler... besides, I picked up some nice threaded steel-reinforced gas lines on clearance where I work just for the job.

think I overdid it with the pump? is it too big or just right? let me know...

I used about 5GPM [minute] rated pumps and they had a max 15PSI.
Mathematically you have more than 5GPM pumps. Just a bit more.

Hey, are the tubes bulging? If not, you are not applying excess pressure, but merely circulating the water.

I have a mag 7 pumping from a home made chiller that is in the garage. It has to go 25' to my box and back (1/2 pvc under house :cool: ) and 3 1/2' of head. The block is a DD TDX with a #4 nozzle. I measured 2 GPM flow at the return hose. That not to bad. :) IMO the head height and the number of turns in the tubing are much more important than length.

I don't have a pic of just the pump itself, but here's a pic of the assembled tower. the pump is in the reservoir at the bottom. it's ready to go, I just need to seal the endcaps, get some hose barbs to connect the gas lines, and leak test the whole shebang. I should also probably prep this box for it... once I know it doesn't leak, I won't be very patient with it :( waited too long for this moment. way too long.
for people who want to know, the pump is a "garden treasures" 675GPH waterfall pump from Lowe's. Linky

Attachments

• bong2_sm.jpg
    bong2_sm.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 234
Nice big reservior. Should make it a day or two easy between fillups. Just make sure you check it often to get a feel for how fast it empties out.

What's the plan for a stand to keep it upright?

together it cost me around $50 plus the pump. not too shabby, eh?

to keep it upright, I will probably make a wooden base for it. I have a little bit of woodworking skills... it's fine as long it stays top-up, and as straight as possible.

since it's running passively cooled (for now), I know it will probably need 8-12oz of water daily to keep it topped off. I intend to keep up with this :) you can't see it from the pics, but there's a 1 1/2" opening between the two wyees, in the back. it's where the power cord comes from, as well as the outlet from the pump. it's currently filled with the piece left after I holesawed it, and the gaps filled with duct tape. I'm going to go over the duct tape later with silicone sealant. should make for a nice seal :) in the meantime, there's a little opening in the back...

Back