• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upcoming Water Cooling Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whozyodaddy

Please give advice. I will be buying a 640, 6800GT, P5WD2, Powerstream 520W, CM Stacker.
--------------------------------------------------
Typhoon - Dual Bay Reservoir $31.95
Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU $45.00
Swiftech MCW6002 1/2 in. (tube ID) $43.00
Black Ice Xtreme 2 $102.00
Danger Den D5 12V Water Pump $70.95
Swiftech HydrX - Extreme Duty Coolant 2 oz x2 3.98
Cooling Works ISR-55 Black Mini-CoolShroud x2 7.98
Panaflo FBA12G12U 120x38mm Ultra High Speed Fan 115CFM 45dBA x2 19.98
OCZ Copper BGA Ramsinks / Chipset Heatsinks (Pack of 8) 13.99
10ft Clearflex 60, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 1/8" Wall $6.80
430 SS Smooth-Band Worm Drive Hose Clamp 1/2" To 3/4" Clamp ID Range, 3/8" Band Width, Packs of 10 $7.14

$356
----------------------------------------------------

Planned loop= Res-D5-BIX2-6002-MAZE4-Back to res

Quick question- could I assemble my computer parts then immediantly after the water cooling parts, and then install the OS? Or is there some type of thing where I should use the computer for a certain amount of time before?

Last edited:
i would go with the Danger Den TDX block personally, it didnt let my 3.4p4 go above 40C ( with a nvidia 6800 pci-e in the loop also)

and go with a 2 X 120mm Heater core they provide alittle better results and are ALOT cheaper.

for coolant, just get a gallon of distilled water and some antifreeze from the auto store, and mixed to 90%water 10% antifreeze, and add a few drops of algae fix to help all that much more

and on my next water cooling system for the one in my signature, im gonna go with a T-line sinse i wont have room, so you could save 30$ by going with just a t-line

and depending on what case you have you can cut your tubing order down to 10ft

--------------------------------

and everyone usually recommends to run the water cooling system for 24hrs before installing in the computer, i went rogue and only tested for about 6hrs and i was confident and didnt get one leak.

I don't think you'll need 15ft of clearflex either - you should be fine with about 10, maybe even less. If you can deal with the noise of that panaflo then go for it, but it would bug me. You could save a ton of money going with a heatercore, preferably a dual like honhon said. Your GPU block and CPU block choices look great. A bay res turned out to be a huge hassle for me when I tried it, and I would recommend against it. There's no point besides the "it looks cool" factor...which, I concede, is significant.

the only time i would also recommend probably now to go with a dual resivoir is.... if you have a huge case, i know the CM stacker is pretty big, but things will get alittle tight when you install it trust me

* CLICK PIC * to see my old setup with dual resivoir

attachment.php

Ditto on the recommendations above. I would ditch the dual bayres. It really just takes up a lot of room and doesn't accomplish anything extra by doing so. You can go t-line, or if you really want a res, go with a single as it will accomplish the same thing. All a res is really good for is to make it easy to bleed out the air. I just don't like the Bayres's as they take up too much room for me. The BIXII is a good rad, but you can save some money if you want to mod a dual heatercore. The BIXII is however easier to mount and shroud, but that is up to you. I think however given your huge case that if I was going to buy a BIXII, for $20 more, I would get a BIXIII if I could fit it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about a BIXIII, although was unsure how I would place it. Would it really be worth it? Anybody know of some good placements for it..

I'm going with reservoir purely for the ease and speed, I think it is worth it.

depending on where you live, svc.com has hydrx for $1.99
they are based in san jose, californai, so check it out
or like honhon said get some antifreeze from the auto store, but watch out they dont come in 2 oz bottles, they come in a gallon or so i think, so you can also just get a jug of distilled water and put some anti-algae/growth pills from the aquarium store and your set. (distilled water goes for like 1.45)

whozyodaddy said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about a BIXIII, although was unsure how I would place it. Would it really be worth it? Anybody know of some good placements for it..

I'm going with reservoir purely for the ease and speed, I think it is worth it.

On the top of your case or externally I think.

The_WRATH said:
depending on where you live, svc.com has hydrx for $1.99
they are based in san jose, californai, so check it out
or like honhon said get some antifreeze from the auto store, but watch out they dont come in 2 oz bottles, they come in a gallon or so i think, so you can also just get a jug of distilled water and put some anti-algae/growth pills from the aquarium store and your set. (distilled water goes for like 1.45)

I know... check my first post.
"Swiftech HydrX - Extreme Duty Coolant 2 oz x2 3.98"
Thanks for the info though.

I might go with the BIXIII. Why do you guys say the res is actually more of a hassle? I would think it would be alot easier.

Well, it can also be a hassle to route the tubing around it, and it can be a little out of your way. When I had mine it made tubing a nightmare. It doesn't make filling/bleeding significantly easier - a T-line does just fine. Besides, you should only be filling every 6 months or so.

yeah, your res could turn from $31 to just $1.39 from buying a T line

johan851 said:
Well, it can also be a hassle to route the tubing around it, and it can be a little out of your way. When I had mine it made tubing a nightmare. It doesn't make filling/bleeding significantly easier - a T-line does just fine. Besides, you should only be filling every 6 months or so.

Could you please elaborate more on this... how did it make tubing a nightmare?

I have a full tower case, and the bay res was up near the top, away from the rest of my components and right above the pump. It took some pretty weird twists and turns to get from it to the pump and to the rest of my system.

if you want a res, go with a single res (i suggest their HDPE res), or if you feel OK leaving it out, go with a t-line & fillport (doesn't kill flow like a res. does, so your pump doesn't work as hard)

edit: for the ramsinks, just pick up some of them frm the guy in the classifieds - 80cents a peice - ya can't beat it

johan851 said:

I didn't have any problems at all plumbing a dual bay res and it makes bleeding effortless, which is indeed easier than a T. As for the room it takes up, it depends on how many bays you have to start with and what you have planned for them. I have six external 5 1/4 bays, taken up by 2 opticals, a digidoc and my res, and TBH, I didn't buy a big case with the idea of staring at faceplates anyway. ;)

It all comes down to personal choice in that both T's and res's have their pro's and con's.

Perseus said:
I didn't have any problems at all plumbing a dual bay res and it makes bleeding effortless, which is indeed easier than a T. As for the room it takes up, it depends on how many bays you have to start with and what you have planned for them. I have six external 5 1/4 bays, taken up by 2 opticals, a digidoc and my res, and TBH, I didn't buy a big case with the idea of staring at faceplates anyway. ;)

It all comes down to personal choice in that both T's and res's have their pro's and con's.

Hey, in your signature it says you have a DD reservoir, could you please give me a link? Oh, and how much do you fill your system? To the top of the reservoir?

Back