• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which way to face fans on hc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hung

for my chieftec case, i just drilled out the rivets for the hds and floppy, now i have room for a dual heatercore, but which way should i face the fans? should the fans be getting air through the bottom right and pushing it through the rad and into the case or should the fans get the air within the case, and push it outside through the bottom right, heres a pic, choose which one you guys think would be better, 1 or 2. (this is with a fan shroud of course)

Attachments

• ASF.JPG
    ASF.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 133
ah so you think i should put the fans on the left side and have it pulling air through the bottom right correct?
anybody else support this? does sound correct

Yeah, the general consensus is that fans provide better pressure pulling than pushing. Fans with heatercores are a little bit like watercooling pumps...it's not so much flow that's important, but the pressure it can deliver. One a side note, that's why a lot of us use 38mm thick fans instead of the 25mm's.

It's not a huge deal, whatever is more convenient for you. If you have a choice though, pull.

johan851 said:
Yeah, the general consensus is that fans provide better pressure pulling than pushing. Fans with heatercores are a little bit like watercooling pumps...it's not so much flow that's important, but the pressure it can deliver. One a side note, that's why a lot of us use 38mm thick fans instead of the 25mm's.

It's not a huge deal, whatever is more convenient for you. If you have a choice though, pull.
agreed. I've found that having the fan pull air makes the rad/shroud/fan a more compact unit for placing it in the case. With a double fan rad, I think the location restrictions will determine which is best, but definitely use a shroud. That is more important than push or pull for the fan.

I agree that the fans should be pulling air through the radiator from the outside of your case. So like example #2 with the fans on the other side.

thx a lot guys
but with a pull config, ill still need a shroud? weird :)

The_WRATH said:
thx a lot guys
but with a pull config, ill still need a shroud? weird :)

Why is that weird? Shroud makes sure there are no deadspot and channels the air flow directly over the fins. (Poor explanation perhaps) Whether the fans are pulling or pushing is irrelevant.

The_WRATH said:
for my chieftec case, i just drilled out the rivets for the hds and floppy, now i have room for a dual heatercore, but which way should i face the fans? should the fans be getting air through the bottom right and pushing it through the rad and into the case or should the fans get the air within the case, and push it outside through the bottom right, heres a pic, choose which one you guys think would be better, 1 or 2. (this is with a fan shroud of course)

Assuming you use a shroud pulling would direct air through the core in a more even manner. I tried setting a desk fan blowing on a radiator and it did not cool well.

Back