• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Pump in one loop, will it damage my exos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ig

Registered
Right now my system is running as below.

Exos 2 -> CPU -> NB -> Exos2 All w/ 3/8 Barbs.

Soon I'm going to add 2 GPU blocks to this, I was thinking since I have a spare Eheim 1046, can I add it to the loop too to help with the flow?

Proposed: Exos2 -> CPU -> NB -> Eheim 1046 -> GPU -> GPU - Exos2.

Will this damage the 2nd exos pump as they have one for push and one for pull? Do I need to add a reservoire there to help with the pressure differential?

I'm not sure what pumps the exos2 uses, but If you were going to put another pump in the loop I wodl try and match the flow/pressure ratings of the pumps they use as best you can. Ideally, using the same pump.

If you have one pump that lets say does 300 gph at 4 feet of head, and one that does 150 gph at 4 feet of head, the one with the lower flow is going to become a bottle neck and you woudl risk the possibility of burning our one or more pumps.

Also, puttin gin a a res to help with pressure differential may make matters worse. If if you have a a higher flow rate going in or out of the resevior you will probably start sucking down some air, and you will still have a flow/pressure differential between the pumps.

The exos2 uses 2 pump one for push and one for pull with a rating of 2 liter per minute while the 1046 eheim is5 liter per min.

So it looks like I'll burn out the intake pump of the exos2 as its rating is only half of the 2 lit per min

Well probably both pumps in the Exos. higher head pressure and flow rate will definately cause yuo problems in you rlower rated pumps.

I belive that the exos uses magnetic drive pumps. From a post Cathar said that you can run 2 magetic drive pumps in series, even if they have different flow charistics ie gph/head. Just put the weaker pump feeding the stronger pump for the best results and there is no danger of burning up a magnetic drive pump plumbed this or any other way. So neither exos or enheim will be harmed. unless it is a mechanical drive pump in your exos ( highly unlikely ) hope this helps.

Last edited:
learning curve said:
I belive that the exos uses magnetic drive pumps. From a post Cathar said that you can run 2 magetic drive pumps in series, even if they have different flow charistics ie gph/head. Just put the weaker pump feeding the stronger pump for the best results and there is no danger of burning up a magnetic drive pump plumbed this or any other way. So neither exos or enheim will be harmed. unless it is a mechanical drive pump in your exos ( highly unlikely ) hope this helps.

If I remember correctly, the increase in flow pressure would be the difference between the two pumps. But unless the pumps are "matched" you still run the risk of eventually "burning" out a pump as one will be over worked.

There are benefite to running pump sin series, as long as you have a setup geared for it.

The Exos2 is using two smaller pump in series in order to produce a flow/pressure more like a larger pump would.

Uh oh hehe, we have conflicting report. one that will damage the exos pump and one it wont .

Well the thing is, if its going to burn out the pump, its nto going to do it imediately, it will PROBABLY take some time. Look at it this way, anytiem you work something harder you lower its lifespan. Will it burn out in 10 minutes, 10 days, 10 months, 10 years? hard to say. Your better pumps have an average life span of around 5 years. Now the 1040 isn't that big of a jump in flow/pressure, and since you already have two pumps in series you are probably near the same head pressure as the 1040, just with a lower flow rate. putting the 1040 in your loop you shoudl see an increase in flow, but again yuo do have the POSSOBILITY of lowering the lifespan of oen or more of your pumps.

Thats not to say its goig to blow up your pump imediately, or that it won't work. Just bear in mind that that risk is there.

It's not a definate that damage or problems will occur, its that you are increasing the likely hood of that. It may very well have zero negative impact on your pumps, then again it might have a catasrophic impact on one or more.

Taking a any mechanical device and putting it in an enviornnment where it is stressed will produce wear and tear. The more stress you put on it, the faster that wear and tear will occur. Now depending on the quility of the device, and the level of stress, the impact may be minimal, or it may be huge.

I have a D4, rated at a 5 year lifes pan. Very good pump, very well put together. Now, If I hook it up to a system that has TONS of flow restriction, im stressing the pump. Its probably not going to make it 5 years. So just hooking it up to my water cooling loop is already stressing the pump.

Just think of it as increasing the stress on a pump, the probability is that it will wear out faster than it would otherwise.

Last edited:
I would just use the Eheim, and take out the Exos pump from the loop. It seems like the Exos one won't be good for anything but more restriction. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's an idea.

I put two mag3 pumps in series hoping to help flow in my very restrictive water chiller. I'm sure the flow rate increased, but it didn't make difference in temps according the sensor in the socket. Though I've read that flow rate isn't nearly as important with chilled water as compared to traditional a heater core application, so take my results with a grain of salt.

youd be amazed how restrictive the blocks from koolance are

like zachm said, get the exos pump outa there, and replace it with a swift655 or something.

hmm, theres something about koolance's exos systems that make consumers want to mod it lol

Back